using one source with two amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I have a doubt, I hope not too much silly. I use only one source (a CD player), but I listen to it through both loudspeakers (powered by a valve amplifier) and headphones (powered by a small diy headphone amplifier, fitted inside of the power amp but with its own input jacks). At the moment, when I want to change from loudspeakers to private headphone listening, I simply swap by hand the interconnect cable from one amp to the other, as both input connections are easily accessible from one side. The risk of switching noises is minimized because the change is done with both amps not powered, before powering on the desired amplifier.

However, it is probable that I have to rearrange the rack where the equipment rests, making harder to gain access to inputs. I think it would be possible to use only one set of RCA jacks with a remotely-operated relay at the output of them (one DPDT-switching signal and ground- per channel), in order to feed the signal to the valve amp or to the headphone amp (both amps have their own volume controls). From your experience, how much does sound quality suffer from passing through a relay (even a high quality one like the Omron G6A series)? Do you avoid it, if not really necessary?

Although the 4 RCAs jacks I use are high quality WBT topline, I use VdH “The First” interconnect, a great-sounding cable but factory-terminated with rather ordinary plugs that have their gold plating already a little worn. Would the RCA plugs on cable suffer from repetitive disconnection? Is this a purely cosmetic problem?

This relay arrangement would be merely for convenience, so I don’t mind to make manually the connections as I do now if there is a better sound quality. What is your advice?

Thanks in advance. Best regards

Jose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.