Using diodes for grounding (earth wire) to reduce noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just thinking about this. There is earth wire that is connected to the chassis for safety. But earth is shared with everything else in the house.

What if i solder diodes to the earth to limit current to 1 way (out of the amp only). Maybe put 2 in series?

Do you think it will help to reduce noise to the chassis?

Joined 2011
NEVER mess with the safety ground. Its purpose is to carry all the fault current and blow a fuse,
or trip a breaker. Inserting any component in that path, diodes or other, is extremely dangerous.

Instead, you may float the AUDIO circuit from the chassis, or connect the audio circuit to the chassis
through an impedance (R, C, diodes), to address noise problems. But do not touch the safety ground.

An article about noise in audio amplifiers: http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Ground-Loops.pdf

Last edited:
Not only that, the whole reason behind "ground" is that this is your ZERO volt reference. Using diodes creates a ~0.6 V drop - meaning that depending on the voltage potential of whatever you ground via a diode is now not zero but +/- the voltage drop across the diode depending on how the diode is installed. If you have noise after grounding whatever you are trying to ground, you have problems elsewhere in the circuit.

NEVER mess with the safety ground. Its purpose is to carry all the fault current and blow a fuse,
or trip a breaker. Inserting any component in that path, diodes or other, is extremely dangerous.

Instead, you may float the AUDIO circuit from the chassis, or connect the audio circuit to the chassis
through an impedance (R, C, diodes), to address noise problems. But do not touch the safety ground.

An article about noise in audio amplifiers: http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Ground-Loops.pdf

Thanks for the link. I saw the part about using bridge rectifier as ground lifter as well.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Not only that, the whole reason behind "ground" is that this is your ZERO volt reference. Using diodes creates a ~0.6 V drop - meaning that depending on the voltage potential of whatever you ground via a diode is now not zero but +/- the voltage drop across the diode depending on how the diode is installed. If you have noise after grounding whatever you are trying to ground, you have problems elsewhere in the circuit.

The circuit's 0V reference and safety earth are two different things.

Nope, that's for installation in the building circuit (hence the size).

I would heed the advice of those that have already posted.

Presumably you are having a problem with hum? How about post the details of your system; the problem you are experiencing; steps you have taken to mitigate the issue etc.

It might be something that can be resolved without resorting to a ground lift.

The circuit's 0V reference and safety earth are two different things.

Nope, that's for installation in the building circuit (hence the size).

I would heed the advice of those that have already posted.

Presumably you are having a problem with hum? How about post the details of your system; the problem you are experiencing; steps you have taken to mitigate the issue etc.

It might be something that can be resolved without resorting to a ground lift.
P
Thanks for the reply. No i am not having any hums or ground loop issue. Things are fine. I am just looking for ways to prevent power noise from the ground getting to my amp etc...

I live in a 25 storey apartment block. Each ground cable (comes from a utility room on level 1) is shared by several floors. Due to this, its never totally clean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.