Using a sub as a woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed my idea is to make 2 cabinets, each with it's own sub-bass driver, mid/woofer and tweeter, all mounted on the same baffle but with the sub driver occupying it's own separate space within the cabinet.

Or to put it another way, i should describe it as a system consisting of 2 sub-woofers with mid-range and tweeter satellites, where the "satellites" occupy the same cabinet as the sub drivers.

The idea is to have extended bass response within a "normal" looking pair of cabinets. Am i delving into an area that is unrealistic and/or beyond the capabilities of a rookie?
The area is not beyond the capabilities of a rookie, but don't expect as a rookie to make great results unless following a proven plan.

To repeat a semantic difference: "Sub" means below, by definition. If something is located in a satellite, it can't also be below it.

If the driver that produces the lowest frequency output is located within the same cabinet as the rest of the drivers, it is not a "sub" woofer, it simply reproduces a frequency range.
The range is divided by the type of drivers in the cabinet- a two way has a "woofer" and a "tweeter", barking dog, tweeting bird.
A three-way adds a "squawker", for a duck-like quacking mid-range sound.

Unfortunately, those terms don't help describe the drivers used, a "low" range of 20-100Hz or 20-2000Hz would dictate use of drivers with quite different parameters. Choosing a driver appropriate for "subwoofer" use would not be the best choice if a 2kHz x-over is chosen, but may be fine if a low "mid" crossover is chosen.

The crossover frequency choices for a 3 way system are infinite, the frequency choice decided upon narrows down the driver choices that will be most appropriate for the range they are to cover.

Art

If the driver that produces the lowest frequency output is located within the same cabinet as the rest of the drivers, it is not a "sub" woofer, it simply reproduces a frequency range.

Actually the term sub-woofer doesn't refer to location ... it refers to frequency.
A sub-woofer reproduces a lower frequency range than a woofer... doesn't matter where it's located.

The idea is to have extended bass response within a "normal" looking pair of cabinets. Am i delving into an area that is unrealistic and/or beyond the capabilities of a rookie?

It's not unrealistic.
Whether it's beyond your capabilities or not remains to be seen. ;)

If your plan is for a 3 way system --woofer, squawker, tweeter-- then it's actually a pretty standard thing. There are lots of 3 way speakers to study and learn from.

The isolated woofer chamber is not new and the high excursion sub-bass driver isn't new either... although I don't believe I've ever seen them combined.

As a little point of history, many of the classic --and now much desired-- speakers from the 1970s and 1980s employed large, high output, woofers. I had a pair of Klipsch Heresys that could make 10hz felt in a room. (You don't hear at those frequencies, you feel the vibration in the air.)

So, yes, I would say your plan is doable.... and I wish you good outcomes!

It all sounds like a traditional big 3-way to me. Speakers like that (with 10" or 12" woofers around the 90 dB efficiency mark) were very common 30+ years ago. The midrange generally needs its own volume anyway (ones with closed back often have to be crossed over higher than I really like), though the usual way of doing this would be providing an enclosed space within the volume used by the woofer, which generally can't be big enough. Tweeters are generally closed at the back so won't mind either way.

When using, say, a 6.5" midwoofer, crossing that over around 200 Hz could relieve it of a lot of excursion, bringing down IMD substantially along the way.

The one disadvantage of integrated woofers is that you lose the flexibility in positioning that may be needed to flatten out the response below the room's Schroeder frequency. Mind you, you could still add additional (real) subs at this point.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
No, not unrealistic and quite doable. It is however a common rookie outlook to focus on low frequency extension without noticing the bigger picture (and yes, I've done it too).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just think about the old B139
Was used as both a woofer and as subwoofers. Think of all the old CerwinVega towers, massive 15" woofers mated to 4" midrange Nothing at all new in the concept. Fashion and WAF simply got in the way of good speaker design for family use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.