• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using a Grid Choke On the 2A3 when the input/driver is a Pentode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve been reading about the benefits of using a grid choke in place of the grid leak resistor on the power tube (2A3 or 300B). Some place I read that’s not a good idea if the input/driver is a pentode?

Has anyone used a grid choke on the power tube when the input driver is a pentode?
Is this a bad idea with a pentode (wired as a pentode).

Here is what I have:
The pentode is an EF37A (6j7)
RL = 60K
Ra = 2.5M
Coupling cap = .47uf
Grid leak resistor (2A3) = 470K

sgerus said:
I’ve been reading about the benefits of using a grid choke in place of the grid leak resistor on the power tube (2A3 or 300B).

Yep, takes care of the grid current problem, as these DHTs tend to pull grid current even before the Vgk actually goes positive. It also takes care of the overdrive blocking problem by providing a low resistance path to ground.

Some place I read that’s not a good idea if the input/driver is a pentode?

Has anyone used a grid choke on the power tube when the input driver is a pentode?
Is this a bad idea with a pentode (wired as a pentode).

Here is what I have:
The pentode is an EF37A (6j7)
RL = 60K
Ra = 2.5M
Coupling cap = .47uf
Grid leak resistor (2A3) = 470K

It's not a good idea at all. Take a look at the specs for the 6J7: rp= 1.0M; gm= 1.9mA/V. You're gonna need a gigundous choke to avoid loading that pentode down to the point where it won't have any gain at all. We're talking kilohenries (hundreds) here. That thing would be as big as a substation phase correction choke, and would have an absolutely horrible high frequency behaviour. You'd be better off running it into something else, like a White cathode follower or a MOSFET.

This question was asked a long time ago but I had the experience a grid choke can work excellent if it's cathode driven (from low impedance). The penthode is direct coupled to the 2A3 here.
I was curious about the origin of the shifting operating point of the penthode, as the DC-level is slowly shifting 0,15V max on bass notes. Anyone?

Attachments

• sch-2A3.jpg
    sch-2A3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 245
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.