Usher 8137

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I wonder why the Usher 8137 kevelar driver is not used or discussed more often in diy. The driver seems to have exceptional low distortion and otherwise good behavior according to a german magazin for a reasonable price (70$).

Any comments?

Thanks
Stephan

Hi,

the 8137K is indeed a nice one!
But there are several reasons why not so many people use this unit:
1) Does anyone KNOW Usher makes units?
2) For the people who DO know, a lot of them think the are imitators (wannabe's) of scan speak, since they use the same cone in the 8955K
3) It needs a relatively large box (90 liter for 23Hz -3dB afaik, using passive filter)
4) it's UGLY! A cone with yellow and black: from a distance it looks like it's made by a cheap-*** manufacturer

Enough reasons not to buy it!

But if you only look at the specs (distorton 2nd, 3rd order not above 0,3% from 100 Hz to over 3 kHz at 90dB.
Only resonance of the cone is at 4 kHz, so you can use it up to 2 kHz
Hmm..the Xmax is not so high: 5mm linear.

Nice unit :)

Grtz

I got them

Hi,

just want to report, that I got a pair of 8137 from the german distributer. I use it in a dipole configuration. A fine driver, which delivers great sound. The advantage over my previous midrange (a high efficient paper cone) is especially with orchestral music and more complex sound. With jazz trios and so on it is also different, but has not the chrisp sound of the paper cone. I thing the Usher is more natural.

Stephan

Hi, I want to contribute something about Usher:

Vigier said:
the 8137K is indeed a nice one!
But there are several reasons why not so many people use this unit:
1) Does anyone KNOW Usher makes units?

Yes, why not....they are since 2 Years a quality branch. They had D´appolito as technical consultant and the build quality is very good!

2) For the people who DO know, a lot of them think the are imitators (wannabe's) of scan speak, since they use the same cone in the 8955K

One of the myth in DIY is the "clone" legend. The Cone is from a german supplier but take a look on the build of the chassis and the TSP specs.....than they are just similarities.

3) It needs a relatively large box (90 liter for 23Hz -3dB afaik, using passive filter)

You are right. They need space 70-90 liter but not everyone can "use" 23Hz.....to be honest most of the DIY guys live in small rooms and so 23 Hz will be nasty.

4) it's UGLY! A cone with yellow and black: from a distance it looks like it's made by a cheap-*** manufacturer

Not true. It looks "different" in those stylish times. I remember in the 90s where kevlar cones appear....the yellow cones look "cheap" but whatever they sound good. I build 2 Pairs of the Hobby Hifi Libra and if you select the colour of the wood good then even the Usher looks "good".

I am maybe different but I listen with my ears .-)

5) Enough reasons not to buy it!

Sorry, you counted some "maybe" cons but they are no reasons acustically.

The Res at 4 Khz can be handled....hey..its a 20cm Cone...you dont drive it to 4Khz? You should get out 2/2,5/3 mayyybe 3,4 Khz.

Xmax of 5mm ist not "bad"....it´s good....3mm would be lame for a 20cm Bass but 5mm its good....go to ZaphAudio and read his short paper about "speaker with high Xmax are not good" :)

The Usher Chassis are very good and the 8137 is very well suited for some High End 2 Way projects. Okay, the speaker will be bigger..and maybe the Cone looks "strange" but they sound very good!

Give it a try.

DVB junky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.