Usher 7" 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all,
i'm putting together a nice classic floorstanding 2-way using the 7" Usher 8945P and the 1" Usher 9330 tweeter. The enclosure is a vented rectangular tower with two lower sealed compartments for the crossover and sand for stability. The tweeter will be mounted on top in a classy open baffle configuration. As far as the cross over is concerned i am thinking a LR4 at 2k, but i'm not really sure. Below are the response graphs from each of the drivers, if anyone has any crossover suggestions or enclosure ideas/concepts/suggestions or past experience with these drivers please share with a post, thank you, Luke Richard

Attachments

• 8945p fr.gif
    8945p fr.gif
    12 KB · Views: 1,213
LukeDuke said:
hey all,
i'm putting together a nice classic floorstanding 2-way using the 7" Usher 8945P and the 1" Usher 9330 tweeter. The enclosure is a vented rectangular tower with two lower sealed compartments for the crossover and sand for stability. The tweeter will be mounted on top in a classy open baffle configuration. As far as the cross over is concerned i am thinking a LR4 at 2k, but i'm not really sure. Below are the response graphs from each of the drivers, if anyone has any crossover suggestions or enclosure ideas/concepts/suggestions or past experience with these drivers please share with a post, thank you, Luke Richard

Luke,
What is the purpose of the "classy open baffle configuration" for the tweeter? If I'm not mistaken, the Usher tweeter is a sealed unit and you'll realize no or little benefit. IMHO, you'll just end up having some ugly wires hanging out there.

I may not understand what your purpose is, so please feel free to elaborate.

Best Regards,
TerryO

LukeDuke said:
hey all,

I have 8945 and 9950 usher 2-way in MLTL box, the freq can go really low.

Sounds good, driven by chipamp, over active x-over. The speakers costs me about $280 drivers only.

Thanks for the replys

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
I've been working on the design a little bit over the past couple days and am debating between vented or folded line enclosure. The TL speaker will have its "vent" on the top of the speaker, directly behind the top mounted Usher tweeter that will be phase aligned. I am considering going with the TL because their flexibility of room placement with the top mounted vent makes it an attractive design for on/near wall placement. Looking at the "Optimo" floorstanding design on Humblehomemadehifi.com, the designer seems to have met with some success. Along with the enclosure debate, i don't have much of a clue in regards to the crossover. Given the following set up please share any suggestions/recomendations:

Usher 2 way TL floorstander:
7" Usher 8945P 8ohm
1" Dome Usher 9930 8ohm
Crossover point: 2000/2200
Line length: 60"
with a 16.2x9cm opening/vent on the top of the speaker, behind the tweeter

If their are any recommendations, please share, cheers, Luke

Re: Thanks for the replys

LukeDuke said:
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
I've been working on the design a little bit over the past couple days and am debating between vented or folded line enclosure. The TL speaker will have its "vent" on the top of the speaker, directly behind the top mounted Usher tweeter that will be phase aligned. I am considering going with the TL because their flexibility of room placement with the top mounted vent makes it an attractive design for on/near wall placement. Looking at the "Optimo" floorstanding design on Humblehomemadehifi.com, the designer seems to have met with some success. Along with the enclosure debate, i don't have much of a clue in regards to the crossover. Given the following set up please share any suggestions/recomendations:

Usher 2 way TL floorstander:
7" Usher 8945P 8ohm
1" Dome Usher 9930 8ohm
Crossover point: 2000/2200
Line length: 60"
with a 16.2x9cm opening/vent on the top of the speaker, behind the tweeter

If their are any recommendations, please share, cheers, Luke

I have built a 2-way based on 8945 and 9550 using MK's MLTL software for a floor stand 2-way. If you are interested I can give you the dimensions. You can use the x-over from D.Murphy website for passive x-over for exactly the same drivers(8945A and 8945P are similar in electrical performance), refer to website below:

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=usher2way.html

or you can Jay's x-over refer to his website, note he uses 9930 tweeter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
yeah... judging from the conversation here, and the mention of usher -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b ********..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put ... snip

(post edited by mod for language and spam content)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.