Used Full Range drivers, second life..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dear friends
i am from india.philips india is still manufaturing this kind of full range drivers.i am not much aware of the quality of the product.but it is very cheap here.an 8 inch driver is costing only 8 american dollrs.i am just attaching the photographs of that driver.can anyone identify the type of drivers.the numbering is totally different

Attachments

• picture 083.jpg
    picture 083.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 782
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
renjiish said:
i am from india.philips india is still manufaturing this kind of full range drivers.i am not much aware of the quality of the product.but it is very cheap here.an 8 inch driver is costing only 8 american dollrs.i am just attaching the photographs of that driver.can anyone identify the type of drivers.the numbering is totally different

The fold at the end of the whizzer isn't as large as on vintage Philips FRs, but it looks like a driver with some real potential. Probably benefir form the usual tweaks.

You have a pair?

dave

Lberated Isophons

Hi Guys,

I know this thread is a little old, but I am just a little excited about my most recent thrift store windfall.

After reading this thread some time ago I was happy to learn that Noresco speakers had quality AlNiCo drivers in them. Yard sales, Sally Anns, Value Village...I looked everywhere. Finally I found a pair of NE 521/8s. This has the Isophon 7" + 4" combination that Dave mentions above.

After getting these home I immediately took the backs off. The drivers are in excellent condition with one minor exception. One of the 4incher's terminals are detached from the basket. It actually looks like the rivet was never properly crimped. What is the best way to fix this I wonder?

Initial listen was in a word, astonishing. I had no idea that these would sound so nice. I am quite excited about building them an appropriate home as I am sure the Noresco boxes aren't very flattering. I was wondering about a Tubural TL design as it would easy to experiment initially. Also considering a simple OB design.

Any suggestions as to a perfectly matched project for these drivers?

Pictures available here:

http://balance.freeshell.org/isophon/

bRian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Lberated Isophons

balance said:
After getting these home I immediately took the backs off. The drivers are in excellent condition with one minor exception. One of the 4incher's terminals are detached from the basket. It actually looks like the rivet was never properly crimped. What is the best way to fix this I wonder?

Very common. problem Rivet breaks from the tension of the wires connected. I use expoxy to glue it back.

Any suggestions as to a perfectly matched project for these drivers?

Open baffle. Qt is high.

dave

Hi guru's'
I found these at a yard sale this morning. Are they run of the mill junk or could they be something decent? size: 5 1/4". The markings as follows:RV5-5W ....6 OHM....15WATTS...50C 41515001... MADE IN JAPAN...1352

Attachments

• luca 117.jpg
    luca 117.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 658
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mpmarino said:
I found these at a yard sale this morning. Are they run of the mill junk or could they be something decent? size: 5 1/4". The markings as follows:RV5-5W ....6 OHM....15WATTS...50C 41515001... MADE IN JAPAN...1352

They look quite good. Obviously originally intended for the car. None of the characteristics lead me to suggest any particular OEM. I'd guess open baffle material.

You'll have to hook them up and give them a listen -- i'm betting they'll sound decent....

dave

OK, By buddy found a set of oval (6 X 9 ?) drivers out of an old tube Grundig console. He sent me a couple pics. I wish he sent me a pic of the cone but ...

Would it be worth trying to pry them from his hands?:)

Interesting, the console must be from the '60s and it also has what appears to be ribbon tweeters that were not yet removed.

Attachments

• mvc-399f.jpg
    mvc-399f.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 593
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
7" x 11" oval.

Tweeters will be single sided electrostatic tweeters. That almost certainly implies that there is also a tube amp in there. Most of the Grundigs i've had thru here had pretty nice iron. Could be SE or PP. EL95 or EL84 (or ELL80/ECL82/86).

Speakers almost certainly do well on an open baffle. Typically sell for $20-$50 /pr

dave

Attachments

• grundig711.jpg
    grundig711.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 539
Found this tough little 3" speaker in a old reel-to-reel that was too far gone to restore.

Anyone know anything about it.

I've had it for a while and i mostly use it to test stereos( when their speakers are missing or shot to blazes). Its a pretty strong little speaker, had 20 watts put through it and showed no sign of distress.

Sound is ok, great mids and highs, fair on bass( for a 3 incher).

Wish i had two to use as Tweeter/Mids in a retro style speaker project.

Attachments

• im000367.jpg
    im000367.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 535
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.