usb supply - Xmos

Hi,

I am replacing my audio GD NFB29 DAC by an SMSL D1se.
The SMSL use a Xmos Xu-216 interface for usb that need to be +5V supplied (the Audio GD did not).
My player is an Etalon Olimex (Arm small linux card optimized for audio).

For your experience, if i supply the Xmos DAC usb input by a +5V/gnd source that is not my player but a linear low noise supply and just get the usb data V+/V- from my player to the dac to the same usb input, will it works ?

My audio GD needed a ground handshake with the player to work, is there a risk that this Xmos would not work if it has no ground contact with the player (only data +/-) ?

Thank you for you advices.

Bernard

When I did that (with a different dac, usb than you have) I left the power ground connected through the usb cable in order to maintain the function.
A very simple lm7805 with decent capacitors, transformer based wall wort easily improved over the laptop power, someday maybe I’ll try something better.

Hi

It works fine with only D+/D- from player and 5v/ground from a supply.

After several tests, the best il a Supra USB cable with everything from the player. (5v, grnd, D+, D-).
The probably good design/impedance is better than the clean external 5v benefit (lps with tps7a4700) with a home made good quality ubs cable.

B.

Last edited: