USB Audio DAC worth buying?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have been using some DIY DAC based on PCM2702 for ages - now I am looking for some better dac for Raspberry or PC. I have found some I2S DAC PCM5102
PCM5102 DAC Decoder I2S Player Assembled Board 32Bit 384K Beyond ES9023 PCM1794 For Raspberry Pi-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Do you think it is worth buying or you recommend sth different like ES9018 dacs ?

Yes. The PCM5102a has a good sound and you can select which filter you prefer with a jumper on that board. The caps marked "222" might be worth replacing with pps film types.
The input is I2S - do you have an I2S source for your PC? For example, CM6631a is USB to I2S.

Last edited:
Yes. The PCM5102a has a good sound and you can select which filter you prefer with a jumper on that board. The caps marked "222" might be worth replacing with pps film types..
Which caps do you recommend ? I will try this PCM5102 for 8$ - it is like one beer - it looks like that changing caps is easy, but can I buy SMD film types or you are suggesting to try the big ones like NICHICON audio caps (but how to solder it)?

I would try it first, try the two filter settings. If you don't hear a difference between the two filters, then no changes are necessary. If you do, then when you're used to it, see about changing the output filter caps if you are not satisfied or just want to tweak it. If you change caps, Panasonic smd pps film caps are good. Most polypropylene caps will also sound good. With an MKP box cap, lie the box cap flat on the pcb and cut the legs as short as you can so they are on the pads.

I was searching aliexpress and I have found two dac, which might be also interesting:
1. ES9018K2M SA9023 USB DAC 16$
Aliexpress.com : Buy HIFI ES9018K2M SA9023 USB DAC Decoder board External Sound Card Support 24Bit 92k from Reliable usb dac suppliers on INNTAK-HIFI Store
2. D3-Mini WM8741 + USB VT1729A DAC decoder with NE5532 LPF TL072 Op amp
D3 Mini WM8741 + USB VT1729A DAC decoder with NE5532 LPF TL072 Op amp Support 24bit 96k and RCA analog coaxial output-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

what do you think about those two dacs ? This with WM8741 might be interesting.

I recently bought a fresh new K702 headphone and I was looking forward to buy a Dragonfly black or maybe the red to match my headphones.

Now I'm trying to decide.
1. Just go with the proven Dragonfly DAC
2. Take a little risk and buy the kickstarter one

A third option for you; Sabaj Da2 or SMSL Idea (they are exactly the same DAC, I believe Sabaj is the manufacturer, SMSL rebrands it.) Amazon.com: Sabaj Da2 2in1 Portable Headphone Amplifier USB DAC Earphone AMP 32bit/768kHz: Home Audio & Theater

This tiny DAC is sometimes referred to as a Dragonfly Red Killer. Here are a couple of comparisons with the DFB:

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: SMSL iDEA USB DAC / Headphone Amp (ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C + XMOS XU208)

Measurements and Review of SMSL iDEA and AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DACs | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Your headphones are very efficient, there should be plenty of juice in the Sabaj to drive them.

I'm a fan of the 9018k2m and for the money, that looks like it might be a fairly reasonable design. However, I would almost immediately replace the ceramic caps (the big yellow ones standing up) with polypropylene because they seem to be signal filtering caps. And then I'd change the xo for a Taiten OX-U part... and very quickly I'd spending $$ extra... but I'd expect it to be worth it.

I have a couple of WM8741 DACS - no issues with it - but I don't know that VIA USB receiver so that DAC is an unknown for me.

This is probably not much help deciding, sorry. So far though, either the PCm5102a or the Es9018k2m, if that helps.

Last edited:
I have just received that PCM5102 dac. Managed to connect it to PiZeroW
I was following this tutorial: Internet radio: How to connect I2S DAC to Raspberry Pi – Master Andrey – Always in state of wonder

I have connected only one GND (there are two on DAC), it looks like it is working with volumio and generic I2S driver, but each time I am changing to new song (by selection) there is loud noise - buzz.
When I will do playlist of files all is ok - changing without buzz noise - but each song changed manually there is a buzz. There is also buzz with first sound playing when starting volumio.
Do you know what might be a problem ? I have read that someone had the same buzz but only on first raspberryPi start sound.

Here is connected DAC to PIZero --> Pcm5102 - Google Drive

Last edited:
I have found the same issue here --> Click/Pop/Crack when changing tracks : Raspberry Pi - Page 4 • RuneAudio Forum - but there is no solution ;-)
I have just seen that there are FMT PINS on DAC --> FMT (gnd) Audio format selection : I2S (Low) / Left justified (High) should I put here some jumper ?
Ok - I have a solution --- this jumper was missing = no jumper at all -- that is why I had that sound crack....
So when I will put my wire jumper on I2S - it is working oK - but When I will set it to to left justified (High) - there is continuous crack buzz when playing a song.

Last edited:
I was testing this cheap 8$ PCM5102 and I don't know what is going on but I saw huge difference with bass -- much better than my PCM2702 (which is made from premium parts caps, op amps etc.) - I was testing it with HD330 headphones and TPA6120 amp.
With PCM5102 I could even feel bass on my ears (and I was testing it with Freddie Mercury album).
eghh - I just tested again on some speakers and PCM5102 is just playing louder when testing with same volume. I was testing on hadphones - max volume - so probably PCM5102 is pumping higher volume or sth.

Hi guys,
what USB-I2S do you recommend on the budget ?
It appeared that I really like my cheap PCM5102 (8$), which is running on raspberry I2S - but to be ohnest I listen to music more often from PC.
I have found plenty of USB-I2S dacs for ~30$
like this one Aliexpress.com: kup 2018 XMOS XU208 USB Do Koncentrycznego DAC Cyfrowy Interfejs Z przypadku/I2S Wsparcie DSD DOP/Wsparcie Aktualizacji do 0.1PPM TCXO od zaufanych dostawcow Wzmacniacz na INNTAK-HIFI Store

I have found also interesting dac on taobao with Panasonic or Elna caps (~20$) - based on ES9038Q2M. For that price maybe it is worth to try it :) Should I try Elna or Panasonic version ?
ES9038Q2M ES9038 I2S DAC-
It looks like there is the same DAC on ali --> K.GUSS ES9038Q2M ES9038 I2S Input Decoders Mill Board DAC Decoding Board For Amplifier AMP-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:
I bought a dragonfly red off a member on here a little while back and I absolutely love that thing.

Small, robust metal casing, 32-bit ESS 9016 DAC and decent power output (2.1v) for running my Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones while I am travelling. It also works natively with my tablet via a micro-usb OTG adapter.

Not sure how the cheap chinesium implementations compare, but I was happy to pay premium dollar for ready-to-go and (so far) reliable.

Hi guys,
what USB-I2S do you recommend on the budget ?
It appeared that I really like my cheap PCM5102 (8$), which is running on raspberry I2S - but to be ohnest I listen to music more often from PC.
I have found plenty of USB-I2S dacs for ~30$
like this one Aliexpress.com: kup 2018 XMOS XU208 USB Do Koncentrycznego DAC Cyfrowy Interfejs Z przypadku/I2S Wsparcie DSD DOP/Wsparcie Aktualizacji do 0.1PPM TCXO od zaufanych dostawcow Wzmacniacz na INNTAK-HIFI Store

I have found also interesting dac on taobao with Panasonic or Elna caps (~20$) - based on ES9038Q2M. For that price maybe it is worth to try it :) Should I try Elna or Panasonic version ?
ES9038Q2M ES9038 I2S DAC-
It looks like there is the same DAC on ali --> K.GUSS ES9038Q2M ES9038 I2S Input Decoders Mill Board DAC Decoding Board For Amplifier AMP-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What OS and music player software does your PC use? Will you only use it with that PC?

There are different types of USB to I2S receivers and the issue of which is best and whether it needs to be isolated or not, needs a driver or not, whether the driver is effective or not, etc., is very much subjective. Don't expect a simple answer basically.

Issues include PC latency (data delay), PC electrical noise, re-sampling in the OS, oscillator phase noise, IC jitter, and more, so it's no simple thing to say one device is "better" than another - an excellent oscillator with an excellent driver can make all the difference but if the software player is crap, or the OS is old, it might be crippled anyway.

So, first, tell us about your PC, it's OS, and what kind of music files you have. Please don't say MP3 ;-)

This is a good primer if you want to read about USB to I2S issues. https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/white-papers/usb-audio-simplified.pdf

Last edited:
What OS and music player software does your PC use? Will you only use it with that PC?

There are different types of USB to I2S receivers and the issue of which is best and whether it needs to be isolated or not, needs a driver or not, whether the driver is effective or not, etc., is very much subjective. Don't expect a simple answer basically.

Issues include PC latency (data delay), PC electrical noise, re-sampling in the OS, oscillator phase noise, IC jitter, and more, so it's no simple thing to say one device is "better" than another - an excellent oscillator with an excellent driver can make all the difference but if the software player is crap, or the OS is old, it might be crippled anyway.

So, first, tell us about your PC, it's OS, and what kind of music files you have. Please don't say MP3 ;-)

This is a good primer if you want to read about USB to I2S issues. https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/white-papers/usb-audio-simplified.pdf
PC: Gaming RIG MSI b250m Mortar mobo - WINDOWS 10 - player:foobar2000 - listen to flac 16bit from torrents ;-)

Good news :) And kinda bad news?

You have a very wide range of choices! And it is cheaper to buy a combo like SA9023 + ES9023 than buy the same boards separately. So you might consider getting that or an Sa9023 + ES9018K32m to compare with the PCM5102. Really cheap in this party of the world.

YJ00130-SA9023+ES9018K2M ?????DAC??-???
and
X-DA2 SA9027+ES9023 24BIT/96KHZ??USB DAC/HIFI?????-???

Assuming the FLAC stream is 44.1khz/16bit or ...?

Win10 doesn't mess with audio data like many previous OS did, so you don't need to focus on the device driver so much and can probably use a driverless plug n play device without detriment if it can handle 96khz/24bit, and there are lots of those for cheap. If your stream is 44/16, Foobar has a great upsampling plugin - Resampler-V DSP to turn FLAC into a higher bitrate such as 96/24 that can produce better sound. ( I just said a hugely controversial thing).

Also, isolating the signal to avoid noise contamination might prove to be more important than the driver.

The onboard ALC887 has spdif out but the mobo doesn't have it, so that is about the only restriction on your choice - no mobo spdif output to an Spdif=>I2S device like AKM4118 is not simple to do. That's a shame cos spdif is easy to isolate, then buffer ...

So, huge choice... at the cheapest end is the adaptive USB stuff like PCM2704, CM102... at the expensive end is the asynch stuff with low phase noise clocks like CM6631, XMOS, SA9227, etc. I guess Savitech SA9023 / SA9027 or Tenor TE7022 is at the Goldilocks compromise for you? Google them and see what you think.

Last edited:
If your stream is 44/16, Foobar has a great upsampling plugin - Resampler-V DSP to turn FLAC into a higher bitrate such as 96/24 that can produce better sound. ( I just said a hugely controversial thing).

Probably doesn't work so well for software upsampling. Upsampling is one way to reduce jitter, but jitter will probably be added right back in by the time the signal has made its way to the dac.

Upsampling is much more likely to work as intended to reduce jitter if it is done in hardware, with the I2S upsampler output then fed right into the dac I2S input.

Jitter is likely to be an issue on low cost USB devices. If you have a budget solution for this, please share - this is what Basek is looking for. My experience is that a PCM2704 can be fairly decent for USB=>I2S with a low phase noise xo (even though some might say the xo is irrelevant for this, I have tried and it does lower jitter with audible improvement).

If the choice is an adaptive USB, or lets say not asynchronous, then it is worth checking the PCs latency - DPC Latency Checker. Some will dispute this too but hey, it's a free tool.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.