USB ADC-DAC Project wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my experience, which is mainly with very high-res, low distortion RCA ribbon mics, I have yet to find a USB adc interface that does not in some way mangle the sound. Most of them have a weird effect of adding a lisp to any vocal. I would urge you to go to a firewire interface, particularly the Digi002-Rack or Digi003-Rack. These have the ins/outs you need(+4 additional line level in/out channels), and do a really nice job on sound, even in stock form. And Digi002-Rack units are going for only $200-350 on the used market, with pro-tools included. I've upgraded 002's into extremely high calibre recording interfaces, so can verify that they have even more potential than they start with. Haven't done an 003 yet, but they are very similar units inside.

Cheers those Digi002-Rack look lovely, looks like the ideal thing however For me I need portable USB or 12V powered. as I plan to travel in the future so am keeping all my audio in that Vein.

I see what you mean with you can pick them up cheap on ebay, i may have to purchase one just for now.

Have been looking into USBStreamer and its possibility to allow me to record up to 10x inputs if i have enough DAC's.

Maybe the way forward for portable Recording is just buying a well known USB soundcard.

Last edited:
I am looking for something (remotely?) similar: record from vinyl/radio.

But the ministreamer does not do ADC. It does load to the PC (mac).
I have looked at the minidsp site and saw no single box solution (in analog, out 48 kHz) ready to be recorded. I do like the 125 pricepoint :) but would expect it to be cheaper.

Any hints; sorry for hijacking the thread :eek:
albert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.