Upgrading Philips DVD 963 SA

New analog supply

Hi Eganz,

Thanks for the good advice for the BG upgrade on the 963SA. This is realy a step forward compared to the stock player.

I also want to do the "new analog supply" as you suggested.
Do you have a wiring diagram for this. Or even a drawing is ok. I'm not so confident in trying to do it just on words.

Thanks in advance,

Saffier

Saffier,

This is just a standard implementation of a dual polarity power supply.
I used simple fixed +8V and -8V regulators (from Digikey).
I enclose a link to a similar circuit using adjustable regulators.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply3.htm

With fixed regulators you do not need the resistors or variable resistors, and instead connect that pin to ground.
I did add extra 650 ohm resistors from the outputs to ground to provide some extra load.

For
NJM7800FA +8V reg, pin
1. IN
2. GND
3. OUT

For NJM7900FA -8V reg, pin
1. COMMON
2. IN
3. OUT

Data sheets are here:
http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/ae/ae06006.pdf
http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/ae/ae06009.pdf

E

Saffier,

No, I do not have any hands-on experience with the Bybee purifiers.
However, I would be very cautious before purchasing an expensive and poorly characterized device like this.
There are certainly many standard ways to improve power supplies that produce quantitative results.

Bybee purifiers

Hi Eric,

Well I first will go your way, doing the full BG upgrade and the analog supply.
I can try the Bybee's and if not satisfied I can return them, maybe I will give them a try in the near future and will report I they are worth the investment. Yes, I to think they are expensive and a little bit 'audio voodoo'.

One more question: where on the opamps do you connect the 8V supply?

Thanks again for your help.

Saffier

Continued audio tweaks

Bypassed #2613 with 0.1 uF MKP, and #2610 with 0.33 uF film caps.
Added 2x 650 ohm to new +-8V ouputs to add 10 mA more load to 8V regulators.
Added relay to control new +-8V supply, driven from +12V switched SMPS line. This turns off the new supply when the player is turned off. This prevents lockups when off overnight.
Replaced #2314 with 47uF BG FK to improve DAC reference.

A little confused

Hi, eganz,

Thanks for all the work you've devoted to this machine and to apprising us of what you're doing. I was ready to return my 963 as "not quite good enough" before I found this thread; now I'm making a list of parts to order.

I'm a tad puzzled by your last post, however. You say you bypassed #2613 and #2610, but on 19 January you said you'd replaced those with Blackgates. Did you bypass the BGs, or am I mixed up?

Also you say you just replaced #2314 with a 47uf BG, but isn't #2314 one of the 1,000uf caps on the video board? Do you mean #2614, which you listed as bypassed on 19 January?

I'm not sure I'm ready to build a new linear supply for the line stage, although I'd like to eventually. Meanwhile, does it make sense to replace the diodes in the existing power supply with faster, soft-recovery ones? This is easy and cheap, and has been hailed in other contexts as a dramatic improvement.

Also, what did you finally do with #2633 and #2637? You reported that bypassing them made the midrange sound glassy, but I haven't seen that you replaced them.

I'm sorry if I sound like an ignoramus; it's just that I am. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, eganz!

I will leave the diodes strictly alone. However, I'm looking now at #2314, and it is in fact a 1,000uf capacitor on the video board, right beside the LF25. The capacitors I see near the AD1955 are #2311 and #2312, both 100uf 10v Rubycons, and#2317, a 10uf 50v Lelon. Is this last the one you replaced with a 47uf Blackgate?

diodes

Talking about diodes in the PSU, in the analog PSU there is a diode bridge, is it also possible this bridge to cause instabilities?

I tried doknet.nl instead of docnet.nl .Just ordered the service manual.

What about the type of relay, will a RELAY PC MNT DPDT 1A 12VDC (Digikey #Z106-ND) do the job?
Can I take the supply from the SMPS 12VDC at the cap #2215?

Another tweak: try stripping all caps from the plastic foil. But before you do it register the value and - side.
This will also enhance the sound, more analog like. The foil resonates and adds distortion to the sound.

If you want to go even further look into this link:

http://www.dhtrob.com/impressies/hometestselna_inwood.htm

Thanks,

Saffier

+13V unregulated supply

Hi Eric,

Received the service manual today from doknet.nl , things get clearer now.
Just one question I cannot answer myself.
You stated a couple of post ago:

'Bring the unregulated +13V to input of +/- 8V supplies.'

Where does this +13V unregulated supply come from?

I know how to connect the regulated +/- 8V and ground, but the +13V got me confused.

I hope you can help me.

Yesterday evening I did the second batch of BG upgrades. Instead of ST I used a FK 220uF 16V cap for slot #2235.
Innitialy the sound was disapointing to me, but after running 5 to 6 hours it gets better and better. The detail and sound stage is great, much more air to the music. Piano and violins sound more real. Percussion sounds fantastic realistic.

Some other ideas from Audio Consulting's Serge Schmidlin:
We keep the original SMPS and change the cap in the 300 VDC supply for a 33uF oil.
Going even further, we suggest to use a 10uF oil cap, a 20 Hy choke and then the 33uF oil.
The original diodes in the 300 VDC section will also be replaced by 16 ultra fast ones.
I am using and have used both the regular and silver
rock level OPT on the output of the I/V stage (+ & -
pins on the output of the AD8022's). I remove 4 SMD
resistors on the top of the board and they are 2.7K
ohm. I tried using the buffer but had problems with
DSD playback but 16/44 was fine here.

I did have to put a .001uf disc cap from signal to gnd
on the output jacks to create a small analog filter as
I was getting some high frequency noise on SACD. with
the .001uf caps no sonic difference and no more noise.

Saffier

eganz said:
Saffier,

This is just a standard implementation of a dual polarity power supply.
I used simple fixed +8V and -8V regulators (from Digikey).
I enclose a link to a similar circuit using adjustable regulators.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply3.htm
Eric,

Just a simple question about the use of the digikey #TE62041-ND transformer for the project.

For the secondary taps, do I connect the red to brown and use that for the connection to ground, and use the green and blue for the + and - ?

The BG substitutions sound great . . a wonderful project.

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Eric,
I have some questions for you:
1. If I were to use the coaxial out of the 963SA, will I still benefit from the upgrades you did?

2. You replaced the SMPS filter capacitors. What values were these and grade of BG used?

3. What were the grade of BG capacitors used on the progressive scan board?

4. You mentioned that the values of the bypass capacitors used range from 22 uF to 33 uF. How do I know what values to use?

Reasons for asking is BG has many grades and I just want to make sure that I get the same sonic improvements that you did.

Thanks!
Ed

Some pictures

Just wanted to share some pictures with you.

Attachments

• dscf0030.jpg
    dscf0030.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,317