Upgrading Old Lcd Projectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello again..

i had an idea and was wondering if anyone out there has attempted it or thought of it themself.while sifting over the vast items ebay has to offer i keep stumbleing across old LCD projectors from the early to mid 90's that project at Vga resolutions,640x480 i belive, and cost anywhere from $100 to $500 bucks. my question is this..is it possable to upgrade these projectiors to SVGA or XGA resolutions by changine out the screens? and if not can they be descaled or scaled (i always get those confused) to the above resolutions?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kobra.

Isn't the problem with those the lamps?!

I thought they were cheap item's because the lamps needed replacing?! But, your question is , can other panel's be implemented.

What are the other problem's in purchasing these? What else needs repair typically?

They are good find's if they only require lamp replacement! But, to find that their panel's need replacing seem's a difficult task! Or, if you want to replace them yourself.

However, I'm your first on the line. Does anyone else know what is typically wrong with busted LCD projector's?
My guess is the lamp, almost always!

Re: replacing the panel's, talk with their tech-guy!

I haven't heard of anything like that in over 1000 hrs of lcd internet research. Maybe, you're the first though!
Contact the manufacture first and ask their tech's if they do things like that! That would give a glimmer of hope. Then you'll have an idea. Those are the folk's you wanna' speak with.

If something like that is done then they would probably know about it.

This is the cheap and quick answer.

My interest is pique'd. Other's expand please!

what i have seen on ebay in the mid 90's there used to be a big market for what looks like single panel lcd projectors..2 items in point are the Citizens 30PC-1AA LCD projector wich measures a measly 7"Lx4"W and the Philips model 5000 wich looks like its based of parascope theory, lcd at one end with high wattage bulb behind it,mirror at 45 degree at the other end bounceing image into optics, . but the only thing bad with these Projectors are there paltry resolutions...also there are other older projectors like the EIKI 5200 as well as further model refinements of the previous 2 projectors i stated.

there are a few out there im interested in buying...does anyone know of any high res 2.5 to 3 inch panels i could possable use for an upgrade?. im thinking of going this route because building one is messing up my brain..trying to figure out optics and panels and light sources ect ect...im just going to cut out the middle man and make an old product better...if possable.

Replacing panels that have lower resolution with the ones that have higher is not trivial. They would have to be of a same size to fit in a projector. However the biggest killer and impossible to solve, is to replace the electronics that will drive those new panels. The electronics would have to be replaced, too, not easy for a hobbyist.

Oh, I see what you're doing

Yeah, gotta find a one-panel to replace it. That size will be difficult to find vga or better.

They're either really small (.7") or larger (4" and up), that have the resolution you want.

I've been trying to find hi-res 1.8" and that's practically impossible.

I've found some one-panel source's in the .7" size, with SVGA quality. But, the cost is $650 and you'd have to pull them out of some VR glasses. You do have 2 of them, though only one driver.

Try contacting their tech's. They may know a supplier or maybe their company manufacture's that size. But, I'm thinking no. That size just isn't made hi-res anymore.

Something may pop up, though. I'll keep an eye out.

eltroniX said:
Replacing panels that have lower resolution with the ones that have higher is not trivial. They would have to be of a same size to fit in a projector. However the biggest killer and impossible to solve, is to replace the electronics that will drive those new panels. The electronics would have to be replaced, too, not easy for a hobbyist.

that wouldnt be so hard really....

usually the ballast for the light, and all power for lighting are separate, they are just controlled by electronics. and if this is the case, you can probably easily separate the two, totally gut the old electronics, and put in your new controller board. sure, the projector's controls wont work, but how could they anyway? if we were that good, we could build controllor boards for our LCD panels :)

When I said "you'd have to replace the controller card....", what I meant is this:
The Video in, composite signal has to be processed to be finally sent to the new LCD panel. The panel will have certain number of lines, made of certain number of pixels. Each one has to be addressed separately. Multiply that by 3, for 3 colors. The multiplexing time, duty cycles and other parameters have to all be controlled by this board to display your video.
When you design, build and debug such a controller, let me know please, as I may want to buy it.
None of this has anything to do with the lamp or it's electronics.
None of this has anything to do with the projector controls (image size, focus, brighnes, contrast, tint etc).

If there is no electrical communication between LCD drivers and light circuits, it should be possible to rip out the complete original LCD+driverboard. Further, if the size of the new panel matches the dimensions of the old one this could be done, even the old buttons &switches could be connected to the new panels driverboard.
My first intention was to look for old 10" single panel projectors, which where one the market in the 90s. 3M, Proxima, Optoma and some others built them. You better can find new 10" panels than 2-7" panels with full SVGA or XGA.

xblocker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.