Upgrade X'over on Dynaudio Special 25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you read the Stereophile review of it, you will get to the point of where reviewer did notice the forward sounding treble. So, I am confident that changing the tweeter padding circuit will definitely bring the positive change, in respect to your taste. Normally one would like to have a xo board out of the enclosure to further inspect the schematic.

edit1: Now that I've spotted the 6moons photo of the board, I can't see a single resistor, probably meaning the padding was achieved by the high pass cap and a phase delay network. Still, needs to carefully draw the schematic with the original values, then simulating the circuit, and propose a mod to alter the HF response.

edit2: It is unlikely that manufacturer did not get the tweeter polarity right.

Last edited:
They are cheap sand resistors. I have always focused on speaker placement but the last 2 years I have really studied the Sumiko and Cardas methods and the rewards I have achieved with the S25 is amazing, the speakers are now 8 ft into the room, 5ft 2 in from the nearest side wall and 8.3 ft apart. All measurements are taken from the center tweeter and with the advice from Bob Robbins from Myspeakersetup.com toed the speakers in quite dramatically along with a 4degree rake backwards.The soundstage has always been outstanding but the imaging and smoothness now is excellent. Highly recommended.

Took a measurement with REW of the Special 25. Mic placed at listening position.
Used calibrated USB Umic-1. The listening room is quite small from front to back wall, but wide. Ca 3,5 meter from the front (knee-wall) to back wall. Room is ca 6,5 meters wide. There is some space behind the speakers, ca 70 cm further from knee-wall.
Listening position is 3 meters from the speaker. The subwoofer in the pic is turned off when measured.

Also measured them with two layers of paper taped on the inside of the speaker-cover, covering the area of the tweeter. Shown in the graph as purple plotting. Blue is without speaker cover.

This is far field measurements, so of course room depentent. But there are some
rises in the response that is corresponding to the "harshness" when listening.
The wide rise from 330-550 Hz, and the peaks at 1 KHz and 3,3-3,5 KHz.

The waterfall plot is without speaker grill cover.

A couple of things to try...
1) Try placing the speakers lower, closer to the floor to get the tops of them away from the slanted ceiling.
2) Try moving them in so they are both in front of the short vertical wall closer to the TV set.
3) 1 and 2.

I'm not the expert on acoustics but I can't help wondering if your problems aren't more room than zoom.

I have DM 3/7 and similiar troubles with some harshness. Freaquensy response measured by graks is quite similiar to mine from listening position. The same peak on 3.4-3.5KHz.

graks could you improve sound to comfortable level?

I havent managed to improve the sound from the SP25. But the sound with the subwoofer on is much more relaxed, so some more boost to the bass is needed to get a more comfortable sound experience.

Should take some nearfield and far field measurements, to moore accurately get the response of the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.