unplugging restores bass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i've noticed for some time, when i disconnect and reconnect the speaker cables and interconnects from my amp the upper and lower bass comes back to full bloom. within a few days to about a week it slowly fades to a more anemic bass response. i've also noticed similiar results with a break-in cd. playing it for several hours seems to give similiar results however not as effectively as the disconnect reconnect method. could anyone shed some light on this situation and possibly offer some solutions. it would be nice not having to pull the amp out every week to get that deep glorious bass.

thanks,

steve

hi gajanan,

thanks for the input. i do have wbt binding posts and rca's. i'm also using a contact enhancer ( mapleshade ). i'm inclined to believe that it is not the swiping action of removing the connectors but has more to do with the remnance magnetic or static build-up. i believe by touching the disconnected cables i'm draining the nasties out of the wire or equiptment. this is pure speculation of course and i was hoping i could get a scientific explanation of what is actually occurring. i'm thinking i'm not the only one that has encountered this situation, especially with all of the demagnetising cd's available. would a strategically placed resistor drain these nuisances to ground?

thanks,

steve

sandrze said:
i'm inclined to believe that it is not the swiping action of removing the connectors but has more to do with the remnance magnetic or static build-up. i believe by touching the disconnected cables i'm draining the nasties out of the wire or equiptment. this is pure speculation of course and i was hoping i could get a scientific explanation of what is actually occurring. i'm thinking i'm not the only one that has encountered this situation, especially with all of the demagnetising cd's available. would a strategically placed resistor drain these nuisances to ground?

I suggest that you slaughter a goat...

I_F

thanks

hi all,

thanks for the responses. i've pulled apart the power supply to find that the primary side ground was lifted floating in the breeze. could be the culprit? i'll have to reconnect and see if this helps. I_F i'm shy a goat however i'm wondering if a cat will have the same effect!:) what do you guys think about the lifted ground solving the problem?

thanks

steve

Re: ground

sandrze said:
i've pulled apart the power supply to find that the primary side ground was lifted floating in the breeze. could be the culprit? i'll have to reconnect and see if this helps. I_F i'm shy a goat however i'm wondering if a cat will have the same effect!:) what do you guys think about the lifted ground solving the problem?

sandrze said:
i'm used to refering to a transformers windings as primary(mains) and secondary. i promise i will get up to speed. it is the mains side ground(safety earth) however not the neutral. the green wire (chasis ground).

All exposed conductive parts must be permanently connected to Safety Earth.
No Exceptions.

used

hi boys,

yes it is a used bedini that i purchased several years ago. scarry to think that the case could have been unknowingly energized. all is safe now as i have reconnected the ground. my guess is that it was lifted for hum loop as well. i have not had a chance to put it back into the system to see if there is a hum loop, but i will this weekend and report back.

thanks,

steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.