Unobtainuim: digital x-over PC card

Thought:
With modern PC/PCIe (Thunderbolt 3, 4 interface, notwithstanding) technology, (Lenovo ThinkStation P520 is PCIe 3.0 and has Thunderbolt 3 GPIO port)
Internal PC Digital-domain crossover card;
parametric/"Q", phase adjust (tight enough for HF, MF, LF, SW driver offset)... with or without SPDIF/analog output...
Considering that most consumer-level audio is still 16/44... should no longer be Unobtainium.
... just a thought
Aside: will also be ripping DSD and/or DVD audio tracks to my music library... Terabytes of storage real estate, on NVMe drives... long gone are my 286/MFM days...
have long-since migrated to Zorintopia (17) - Ubuntu 22.04
fwiw

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
I don't get your thoughts: you would like a dedicated to xover/dsp extension board that's it?
In my view It's not needed as there are plenty of soundcards ( from 5$ to phone number retailed price) able to gives in/out and software able to perform any dsp tasks are already availlable ( from free to close to a phone number price).

Iow, it's not as straight forward as a 'complete package' but it's there ( and since a long time in fact). It ask some specific knowledge which can be a bit daunting at first but is manageable to have a working system ( i have a secondary pc system dedicated to this with a 24 yo soundcard, running under win xp...).

The issue with an expension board dedicated to a dsp or xover is it'll 'lock you' wrt future upgrade. And if you really want a loudspeaker management system then dedicated rock stable hardware already exist ( my main system is based on one of this unit and it don't even require a soundcard as it accept Dante). It's not cheap though ( my secondary system cost me 1/20 the price of the hardware...).

Last edited:
The thought is regarding an internal expansion card (presume PCIe - based would be standard)
(Thunderbolt 3, 4 has an astronomical data x-fer rate... supporting multiple DisplayPort graphic monitors... speed + bandwidth)
Most current sound cards are designed for "Surround": Front L+R, Rear L+R, Center/ Sub... all analog...
some cards adding S/PDIF out, but cannot simultaneously offer both analog and and S/PDIF outputs.

This Internal "sound card" will have discreet HF, MF, LF +Sub S/PDIF (TOSLINK?) outputs.
replacing the typical consumer sound card (as Crossover, instead of Surround)
Crossover parameters are set in the PC/software digital domain.
to date, have yet to find a Soundblaster, Asus Xonar or Cirrus capable of dedication to discreet frequency bands... much less parametric settings.
With most consumer sound cards, when S/PDIF output is selected, analog (surround) outputs are disabled.
john

Last edited:
The easiest to config s/w for XO and EQ is Equalizer APO just remap/redefine the outputs to what ever you want. It has standard filters, delay, EQ and a convolution engine. I use this for a 3way horn and subwoofers. If Linux is preferred then Camilla DSP has similar functionality.

If you want to see what performance is possible with stock PCI-e cards, have a look at this Sound Cards Measured

[edit] added ref to CDSP for Linux

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The thought is regarding an internal expansion card (presume PCIe - based would be standard)
(Thunderbolt 3, 4 has an astronomical data x-fer rate... supporting multiple DisplayPort graphic monitors... speed + bandwidth)
to date, have yet to find a Soundblaster, Asus Xonar or Cirrus capable of dedication to discreet frequency bands... much less parametric settings.
With most consumer sound cards, when S/PDIF output is selected, analog (surround) outputs are disabled.
john

Ok get it.
As i see thing the issue is you look for 'consummer' gear.

I won't ever recommend this kind of gear, for this example but in general too: price to performance ratio is... how to say it... null, stability is questionable and drivers s.cks 90% of time.

Pro gear do not have this issues: it's stable ( otherwise it vanish as soon as it appeared on market), performance/price ratio are more than ok ( especially nowadays) and ASIO drivers allow whatever you want wrt routing ( in fact it is software dependent) and number of I/O ( last studio i setted up had 64 I/O and it was something like 10 years ago).

As i use a system like that for almost 15 years i know i won't allow anything i'm not sure about stability: any bug which can blast your amp with 0dbfs signal is a no no as i want to keep my ears working for some more years.

Of course there is some drawbacks as most pro gear won't run on something other than Win or Mac os, you won't find superdupper sampling freq or bit depth ( which are in 99% case marketing ******** anyway) and you'll pay for 'high performance' if really needed ( pro DSD converters put a hole in your wallet for sure... but they ARE DSD and works as they should once you plug).

Of course your milage may vary but... been there, done that. I prefere listen to music rather than debug a system...