Unbalancer - user experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My understanding is that the Unbalancer is more suited to situations where you need I-to-V conversion AND bal-unbal conversion. If all you want is bala'nced to unbalanced with the 'taste' of tubes, as would be the case if you're using an Opus, this would be a better option.

BigE said:
You are looking for increasing 2nd harmonic distortion to audibility?
kinku said:
I think so, that is what tube sound is all about right?
If you want genuine 'tube sound' then the best way to get this is to buy a cheap Chinese 'tube buffer' off Ebay. Choose one with a very low supply rail voltage (say, 12V) and lots of blue LEDs lighting up the valves. You will get lots of 2nd, both harmonics and IM. Your non-technical friends will be impressed too.

Not I/V conversion in the first place, that is somehow a collateral effect when using low input R with high gain in the first stage. The Unbalancer is a BCF with an input stage providing gain. If you need that gain, use the Unbalancer. If you are ok with unity gain, go for BCF.

If you want genuine 'tube sound' then the best way to get this is to buy a cheap Chinese 'tube buffer' off Ebay. Choose one with a very low supply rail voltage (say, 12V) and lots of blue LEDs lighting up the valves. You will get lots of 2nd, both harmonics and IM. Your non-technical friends will be impressed too.

I like that sarcasm but I am not looking for a change in my sexual orientation......

I don't think tube sound is all about 2nd harmonic. How do you explain then Push-pull amplifiers, where the 2nd harmonics cancel out?

IMO, tube sound is found in the absence of high order harmonics. If your DAC is polluting the sound with such harmonics. The high order harmonics are already there and the tube won't get rid of them. You'd be better off changing the DAC than by attempting to mask them with even more distortion.

It has been suggested that our ear is very sensitive to the high order harmonics, so you 'd be fighting a losing cause.

I like that sarcasm but I am not looking for a change in my sexual orientation......

...comments sometimes appear harsh at times and it derails threads which you nicely avoided. Just saying.

If you are interested in making something yourself - this is DIY afterall - and you don't need voltage gain before your power amplifier then perhaps a Cathode Follower buffer might be your cup of tea. I don't have a specific circuit to suggest, but the 6DJ8 (or 6N23P) offers the option to operate at less dangerous voltages than many other tubes without giving up a lot.

Another option is a Common Cathode pre-amp with relatively low gain, and the one that comes to mind is based on the popular 6V6 tube. Although it is an output power tube it can be used as a preamp if you want to. There's a good thread on that around here somewhere. Edit: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/102352-6v6-line-preamp.html

Last edited:
BigE said:
IMO, tube sound is found in the absence of high order harmonics. If your DAC is polluting the sound with such harmonics.
I suspect that almost any DAC is more linear than almost any tube amp, higher harmonics included. I may be wrong.

There are two types of 'tube sound':
1. good sound which happens to use tubes as the active devices
2. sound which misuses tubes to get preferred (mainly low order) distortion
When someone specifically asks for 'tube sound' I often assume they mean the latter.

Is it possible to use unbalancer in unity gain. I was reading the pdf file from glassware .the first stage of unbalancer further reduce the noise and with correct resistors it can be used as a IV stage too. Unbalancer further improve noise parameters. Am I wrong?
DF6 I am looking for the best like anyone else and please don't assume I am not looking for anything that will make it worse.
Unfortunately I missed the bus for tubes and trying to catch up. Hope you will help.

Last edited:
I have an Opus DAC and I built a BCF out of curiosity. I was using a twisted pear balse to do the I/V conversion. The opus with the balse was dead quite and has very good sound quality, the BCF had a hellacious hum that I just couldn't get rid of. And I tried lots of solutions. So now the BCF is in the recycle pile. It's too bad since I had also built two Aikido peramps earlier and have been very happy with them, clean, clear, dead quite.

Paul

THAT 1200 balanced line receiver should work for you - but it brings no sugar.
Just add +/-15V and you're done. Unity gain, low source impedance, no output caps, and it has excellent, albeit transparent SQ. $6 each.

Sorry did not understand. Can you please attach a link?
Thanks Paul I am waiting to hear honest opinions like that. Did you try the BCF or is it the unbalancer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.