Uk Group Buy, A7p's & 12pw's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your statement is correct but experience has taught me that capturing & editing photos using color calibrated equipment will yield closer to natural colors especially if it will later on be viewed on newer screens ie apple retina or samsung amoled. In fact im viewing my post right now on a samsung s5 phone & the color is very close to what I see on my calibrated imac screen.

Thank you for nice detailed photos.

But there is a catch. All measures taken during taking photos want do much good if watcher doesn't have calibrated monitor :(

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
a3cervo,

Your pics (on my MacBook Pro screen) are much closer to white than the real cones blue paper.

Here is a recent pic i've taken (purpose of picture to show a "black" coned A7p (the standard cones do have a transparent pre-treat on them)

The blue on my MacBook screen is a bit lighter than reality too.

dave

Attachments

• black-coned-A7p-vrs-standar.jpg
    black-coned-A7p-vrs-standar.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 120
Dave,

Yes, closer to white or even grey...exactly my point when I said that the color shade of the 10Ps depend on the lighting conditions. Those pics were shot with two 600watts studio power strobes as light source, rear @ 1/4 power & front 1/2 power. Used a grey card for correcting white balance on post processing.

Btw, love the black coned A7p :cool:

a3cervo,

Your pics (on my MacBook Pro screen) are much closer to white than the real cones blue paper.

Here is a recent pic i've taken (purpose of picture to show a "black" coned A7p (the standard cones do have a transparent pre-treat on them)

The blue on my MacBook screen is a bit lighter than reality too.

dave

Last edited:
re: test cabinets, I wasn't thinking of raw drivers, but perhaps a small bookshelf design, (reduce transport costs) I guess it would be hard to compare if you wanted a large pensil design or rear horn, But having a small bookshelf, that you weren't allowed to take out of the cabinets, would allow you to get a flavour of the drivers.

On the colour of theMA papercone drivers.... onmy screen the blue in these pics is really close to what i see with a driver in hand.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/255966-trapezoid-build-guide-2.html#post4108227

dave

I have great respect towards yours work and for you as a person, so don't get me wrong here...

Only you, and person(s) sitting next to you, can tell what is it that you really see :D

For others really means not much.

The best, one can do in a situation such as this, is to go outside, around noon, take driver with you in one hand, with Pantone sheets in the other and tell us the color code from sheet which is the best match :cool:

I just walked over to an A7P that is currently playing the 3rd movement of Schubert's 8th symphony. Under 2700k CFL's, there is no hind of blue. They are gray.

Bob

With much respect, good to know, but...

2700k is quite yellowish hue and CFLs are generally having bad CRI (color rendering index).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Halogen light is much better for that purpose.

Alpair 10p From my iPhone

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Alpine white solid surface behind it and the only colour chart I could find, for chalk paint.

Its definitely in my eyes a mottled blue pale on the edge of duck egg, and perhaps slightly more blue than the picture dictates. Not quite "Louis Blue' and not quite "Paris Grey"

Last edited:
With much respect, good to know, but...

2700k is quite yellowish hue and CFLs are generally having bad CRI (color rendering index).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Halogen light is much better for that purpose.

All true, but my room is lit by 2700k CFL's. The color of the cones is always going to be what 2700k CFL's render. If I used 5400k bulbs, the color would be different. The point is just as the drivers will sound different under different conditions, the color of the cone will depend on the light source. If you light your room with halogen bulbs, the rendered color might well be more blue.

Bob

@Studio Au, on my calibrated iMac screen, the left side is closer to "Louis Blue" while the right side is closer to "Paris Grey". From what I see; light source coming from the right side of the pic is stronger, shadow cast to the left side of the dust cap and lower left of the basket as evidence. And the right side of the cone receives less light as it slides deeper, thus the darker shade of color and adding a bit more contrast.

This is what I'm talking about when I say the paper cone's shade depends on the amount & quality of light falling to it.

Last edited:
+1

All true, but my room is lit by 2700k CFL's. The color of the cones is always going to be what 2700k CFL's render. If I used 5400k bulbs, the color would be different. The point is just as the drivers will sound different under different conditions, the color of the cone will depend on the light source. If you light your room with halogen bulbs, the rendered color might well be more blue.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.