UGS-muse preamp GB

another one could be closing the group buy and move along with whom is still actively interested.

Well I was just asking for help to send few MP to try making things faster and involve all the person that confirmed already before going to next step.
MP can be sent by everyone right including you that is pressurizing to increase the speed.
I don't think I am allowed to decide to go ahead without few people because they are late giving their shipping info. Am I?

But right I can do it by myself, thanks for your help !

Still in, but no hurry.

Alex or Eric: Could you provide some more clarity as to what is in the Salas shunt(s) and what the other prereg is? What exactly is needed to power the entire preamp? And I assume that the shunts or other prereg take the place of the original PSU board?

I would also like to get shunts or the other preregs for 2 other UGS Muse preamps that I am building, and needed to know exactly what I would need. I intended to power the UGS themselves at +/-24Vdc.

Thanks,
Chris

Still in, but no hurry.

Alex or Eric: Could you provide some more clarity as to what is in the Salas shunt(s) and what the other prereg is? What exactly is needed to power the entire preamp? And I assume that the shunts or other prereg take the place of the original PSU board?

I would also like to get shunts or the other preregs for 2 other UGS Muse preamps that I am building, and needed to know exactly what I would need. I intended to power the UGS themselves at +/-24Vdc.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris and others,

The shunt PSU I made works from unregulated DC voltage inputs and provide voltage regulated outputs.

In order to set +/- 24Vdc, you need unregulated voltage around 29V-36V at its inputs.

And as to cope with the inherent power dissipation of a shunt PSU, current limitation will be set to be around 150mA per rail from BOM which is enough to power 1 channel preamp board.
Hence that means you need to plan for a transfo 24V+24V AC with at bare minimum 5VA+5VA (check transfo specs for admissible operating current per secondary and apply some margins) + of course bridge rectifier + filter.

The PCB dimension is approximately 100x90mm (3.9"x3.5")
There are 2 ways to attach the mosfets: using PCB mount heatsinks as shown (see pictures) or beneath the PCB (heatsink of your own).

Important: to set things clears, the design has been tested by Alex and myself on others PCBs variants but not on this precise PCB version.
I am very confident it is going to work flawlessly (no change in schematics and parts used) but as usual unsubscribe if you rather like to use a completely proven PCB.
Also do not plan use the Salas PSU with the UGS muse listed 230V transformers from the previous group buy. These are only 2.5VA+2.5VA capable so not enough for this shunt version.

As for the other version, not sure if Alex managed to obtain the Gerbers for it as it is quite dated, but its is originally the so-called "alim simple" in the french forum. Many like myself and Alex, got these PCBs from old GB.
It serves the same purpose as the Shunt version but as it is a linear version, current requirements are much less.

I hope this clarifies things at least for the shunt version.
I will provide schematics and BOMs of course for it in time for the GB but no worry, none parts are presently difficult to get from Mouser or Digikey.

-- Eric

Attachments

• UGS Salas PSU angle.jpg
    UGS Salas PSU angle.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 405
  • UGS Salas PSU bottom.jpg
    UGS Salas PSU bottom.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 420
I agree, close the GB. Does how have been active for weeks adding info to the spreadsheet and sending PM's to Alex is clearly interested. What Alex could to is to secure 5-10 extra kits for the does who are a bit late with the info. We don't know why they are late and might have a fair reason. Lots of personal issues going on atm and would make for a horrible excuse to band them from the GB.

Maybe just let Alex run the GB at the pace he deems appropriate?

Indeed!

Alex is running this additional group buy on its spare time asides of its professional activities and he has also to manage with its personal life (WAF for DIY activities could become.... :redhot: if not well balanced).
So remain a little be patient. It is just not to simply set a closing date.

i didn‘t want to rush alex. we can give him as much time as he needs. but i think we can close the GB and he can prepare himself as long as he wants and needs. so he has no stress to gonafter all the guys which wanted a set and now don‘t respond. he can order a few spare sets for later sell... i think once the GB is over he will have enough things to do and coordinate.
but if anybody wants a longer deadline i am fine with it.
alex is the boss :)

just my 2 cents

Thanks Pars & Fencki for your understanding and Eric always for your support.

So the details as of today, here are the missing persons:
Fabian85
Nick696
Ozcal
Boydk
Naz
Jazz

I just sent them MP now giving them until end of this week to confirm.
If they don't I will consider that they are not interested anymore.
I was planning anyway to order a couple of more PCB sets (around 3) to cover such problems.

Then we run into a first issue, I just learned today while trying to estimate the shipping cost at the post office that Taiwan is putting on hold the shipping in / out of the country to several other specific countries.
Effective starting today, covid19 reason, I don't have the full list yet, what I just know is that my country France is not black listed yet (but might be later on since the situation keeps getting worse).
The only way would be to ship to one place where I can ship out of Taiwan for a second level of dispatch later on. Complex but I don't see any other alternative at the moment.

I also need to check how to handle the payment. For the first GB on HCFR, I asked people to wire money directly to my bank account but maybe not convenient for some of you and probably have some additional transfer fees especially for overseas transfers.
I am think about Paypal then but I have a question for those who knows. I don't plan to leave the money collected on my Paypal account so once done does anybody know if there is a possibility to transfer back the money to my bank account?

Then ok let's make a final closure at March 31st.
I will try to be more responsive and meet the deadlines.

sending back money to your account is free if you are transferring more than 100€

Anyway PayPal is most probably the best solution for the GB, easy to track people activities and you will get some information like shipping addresses, mail ...
I used it for the last GB I did on HCFR and I payed also the hardware with.

For the delivery I don't know how urgent it is for everybody but I think that the delivery will be affected everywhere around the world and in some cases blocked until the end of the crisis.

other question: is someone also organising a GB for the components?

Alex

Last edited:
friends or family is free of charge...

...that until paypal detects you are receiving a recurring amount from many different people and then (just ask me why i know...) they will apply automatically the fee for further incoming transactions.
I have heard of cases where paypal kept on hold the balance until they figured out a way to recover the loss with the paypal account owner.

At any rate... i am confortable to pay the fees for making a clean "commercial" transaction... not sure if that will be the case for everybody.

And, not sure how your postal service will handle transfers to Italy... but at the moment, despite the situation, our postal service (Italy) is running strong and i am candidating myself as a relay point for europe.

if that is the case, i can also arrange the order of the board (instead of you making one big order and then send a sub-set of that to me to then relay again to others...) just forward me gerbers and i will order as per your specifications. May I suggest JlcPcb, they are running full steam right now and the quality is aligned with the best you can get on the market, they offer different thickness (both board and copper) with ENIG.