UGS adventures

Indeed, there have been some problems amongst some diyers with these 4R7 resistors.
The wattage is enough in normal operation (the supply draw a rough 50mA), but the main problems arose in turnon phases, where the capacitor charge can be lethal for the resistors.
To be safe, replace them with 3W ones, and they will last forever ;)

Hi, CheffDeGaar.

I am new on this forum, while I did read it all with enthusiasm.

I then decided to bring some contribution to your thread.

Please find attached a picture of my DCX equiped with six downsized UGS output stages.
They work very fine and they are amazingly stable.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• P1000964.JPG
    P1000964.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 1,157
Hi, CheffDeGaar.

I am new on this forum, while I did read it all with enthusiasm.

I then decided to bring some contribution to your thread.

Please find attached a picture of my DCX equiped with six downsized UGS output stages.
They work very fine and they are amazingly stable.

Thanks again.

I don't know what a DCX is but it seems you have done a very nice work ... Félicitations ...

Manu

I was wondering if someone might kindly point me to the circuit for the PSU that was included with the UGS kit? I'm sorta lost in a sea of French looking for the files.

I'm wanting to modify this for use with +-12V output and was wondering how much current these boards can supply? Anyways, those are the questions I was hoping to answer with the documentation...here's where the files are located:

Index of /diy/preamp_ugs

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi ludunhill,
this is the lastest draw for the PSU. It's the one that we use for the "simple UGS". The "all inclusive" one use the same PSU system but including on main board.
UGS PSU

To change the value, we use a Excel file that Cheff sent us.

Attachments

• calculR_alimUgs.xls.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I was wondering if someone might kindly point me to the circuit for the PSU that was included with the UGS kit? I'm sorta lost in a sea of French looking for the files.

I'm wanting to modify this for use with +-12V output and was wondering how much current these boards can supply? Anyways, those are the questions I was hoping to answer with the documentation...here's where the files are located:

Index of /diy/preamp_ugs

Thanks!

May be it is a good idea to use BC550 &BC560 instead of ZTX for such low rail voltage...
I guess frog-eater documentation is self-explaining so far..
?
Cheers
Manu

Spencer,

is this the Borbely SE JFET preamp you use for comparisons:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EB-2000/402 SE Balanced ALL-JFET Lineamp

Best
Sigurd

Hello
Can someone help me with these Borbely pre ..
Any idea about R9 ADJ(resistor )or trimpot . Actually I finished the preamplifier but because that (one) value missing I can not power it up .
One of my PC board not fully populated and mounted . I attached a picture from that to..
Greets
Merry Christmas

Attachments

• balanced preamp.JPG
    balanced preamp.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello
Can someone help me with these Borbely pre ..
Any idea about R9 ADJ(resistor )or trimpot . Actually I finished the preamplifier but because that (one) value missing I can not power it up .
One of my PC board not fully populated and mounted . I attached a picture from that to..
Greets
Merry Christmas

Testing and alignment
Select R9 to give 16V (max 20V) voltage drop across R3 and R6. Then adjust P1 to give equal DC voltage at Q3 and Q4 Drain. (Test on R3, R6).

Merry Christmas too!

Thank you Walter
I will finish soon my preamp , I will report the result .
Also I'm planing to put together a UGS preamp .
I just ordered the parts for that .
These preamp I have 2 years almost ready only information was missing how I adjust R9 and what would be the right value .
Now I know , thanks to generg and to you .

Greets .

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi gaborela,

in the last weeks I build UGS pre and pumpkin.
In my chain: cd-player Meridian Go8.2, F5 and Thiel SCS4, the pumpkin was more articulated than the UGS. But the pumpkin is a hard fight. Much heat in the shunty and very difficult to adjust.
The UGS has also a very good sound, no drift, no heat, no matching!
To be fair I had to change Zenmod shunties to 24 V and drive them with UGS. May be, I do it later.
After the fight with pumpkin I must relax and I enjoy the sound!!!!
What about your F5?

Very good Year 2010!