• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ugly, but versatile, new amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me guess... Are you trying a lead guitar speaker with a bass guitar?

The speakers in this test were my normal listening speakers which are old Yamaha NS-10M studio near field monitor speakers. Look at a picture of a recording studio control room from the 1990's, odds are that you will see a set of these sitting on either end of the mixing board. I got a set when I was playing around with a home studio (Cakewalk software on a PC). These are NOT tube friendly speakers. The impedance VS frequency curve only touches 8 ohms at 2 points in the audio range. The test signal was captured from a music CD (as explained in a later post). I just kept replaying the track and hitting the store button on the scope until I caught it.

OH, the test sgnal is a CD. Gypsy Soul, new Flamenco. It is a Narada sampler CD of various "new styles of Flamenco guitar" The track used is #11. It contains a bass guitar solo that will find the limits of your amp. Later in the same track the bass is played over the Spanish guitar. Can you say intermodulation test!

tubelab.com said:

The speakers in this test were my normal listening speakers which are old Yamaha NS-10M studio near field monitor speakers. Look at a picture of a recording studio control room from the 1990's, odds are that you will see a set of these sitting on either end of the mixing board. I got a set when I was playing around with a home studio (Cakewalk software on a PC). These are NOT tube friendly speakers. The impedance VS frequency curve only touches 8 ohms at 2 points in the audio range. The test signal was captured from a music CD (as explained in a later post). I just kept replaying the track and hitting the store button on the scope until I caught it.

Hey, they did not hear what do they record! :smash:

I am sure that these speakers were meant to be driven by a SS amplifier with a near zero output impedance. I was using an SS amp when I bought them. My thoughts were along the lines that I wanted to do mixdowns with the same sound capabilities that the "big guys had".

I can remember a trip to Criteria Recording (Eric Clapton, BeeGees, and zillions more) in Miami. It was some time in the early 1970's. Their mixdown room had the usual speakers on the corners of the console, but they had all of these different speakers in the room. The most unusual thing was this big metal box with two 6X9 car speakers in it. The engineer wanted to replicate the sound of a medium sized car with 6X9's in the rear deck. He also wanted to hear his mix on several different speakers.

The near field studio moinitors of today have ss amplifiers in them.

There is a tube library available for download on Cadsoft's web site. Each tube has two "packages" associated with it. Some of them match the commonly available sockets as is. I believe that I had to switch to the alternate package for the octal socket. I don't remember how I did this.

I have the Eagle library that I use for my boards on my USB drive. This is the same library that I use for all of my board designs. I have zipped it and am attempting to include it. It is a modified version of the one that I downloaded from Cadsoft. The pads are larger than normal to allow for easy soldering by beginners, and everything should match the tube sockets commonly found on the web.

I know that the 5AR4, EL34, and 12AT7 tubes are correct. Some of the other tubes may not have been modified since I may not have ever used them. Use at your own risk (check your sockets before making a board).

Attachments

• valves.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 48
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.