Ugliest DAC.. but tiny!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just finished this silly project. It's a PCM2902, bus powered with no analog buffer. The wiring is straight from the 2902 datasheet.

It's about the size of a matchbox.

Surprised the heck out of me when I plugged it in, and it worked. No noise or hum problems, but the sound is so so. Quite poor bass for some reason, though the highs are fine. The output coupling caps are 10uF.

I wonder how much better it could sound if the power was done right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting!

I made a bigger (about the size of two business cards side by side) version of the PCM2902. It outputs in a OPA2134 and the sound is quite good. I noticed a tremendous improvement when I added the REG103 as suggested in the suggested schematic of page 27.

I also built a wall powered unit (kind of defeats the point of USB but...) and the sound quality is leaps and bound better. Actually it is my reference when I build new gear now. The improvement is all around but it is especially present when driving harder loads (i.e. headphones).

Congratulations on the tiny design (I wish I could pack as much punch per cubic inches in my designs!)
Sébastien

pixpop said:
Just finished this silly project. It's a PCM2902, bus powered with no analog buffer. The wiring is straight from the 2902 datasheet.

It's about the size of a matchbox.

Surprised the heck out of me when I plugged it in, and it worked. No noise or hum problems, but the sound is so so. Quite poor bass for some reason, though the highs are fine. The output coupling caps are 10uF.

I wonder how much better it could sound if the power was done right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very nice pixpop!

I made something similar:

(click to enlarge)

Only PCB:

(click to enlarge)

Using an output buffer the sound is very good, also on basses. I used for input and output buffers the Burr-Brown OPA2353, that work with the 5V from USB.
Output coupling with bipolar 47 uF.

@ jleaman: just go to www.ti.com and search for PCM2902

Re: Re: Ugliest DAC.. but tiny!

paologatto said:

Very nice pixpop!

I made something similar:

(click to enlarge)

Only PCB:

(click to enlarge)

Using an output buffer the sound is very good, also on basses. I used for input and output buffers the Burr-Brown OPA2353, that work with the 5V from USB.
Output coupling with bipolar 47 uF.

@ jleaman: just go to www.ti.com and search for PCM2902

ANy boards left ? id buy one..

pixpop said:
I have another 2902 chip. Perhaps I'll build a better one, now that I've seen how easy it is. If I build another one, I'll connect all the inputs and outputs, not just the analog out as I did in this one.

Still, an M-Audio Transit is only $99.00

My point DIY Do It Your Self :D that is why i asked for the board.. I wonder if i could buy one if not i should be able to find a schematic and design my own board..

pixpop said:
I bought mine from digikey. They are PCB mounting, and I soldered the metal case directly to my copper board. Also bought the crystals from digikey, and mounted the crystal by soldering its case to the copper board, which is my ground plane.

Do you have part numbers for the usb plug and the 12mhz Crystal from digi-Key. ?

Plz

j'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.