Two LED's in one fibre optic strand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two indication LED's in my amp project but I would like to keep it simple and have only one light in the face plate of the amp, so, my question is, is there a some kind of plastic thingy device that can gather the light from two led's and guide it into one fibre optic strand?

I have made an attempt of a drawing to show what I mean here.

Attachments

• leds.gif
    leds.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 84
How about custom cutting a piece of acrylic then drilling it out to fit the two LED's then use a tiny amount of epoxy to hold them in the drill outs that way you can make the "optical combiner"any size you want. I know most cities have a store that sells plexiglass or acrylic panels.

Thanks for the replies.

I meant light pipe not strand, sorry about that, I just didn't know what it was called (english is not my first language).

A bicolor led would be the best, but in this application its an indication a led from a charger (battery powered amp) indicating when its charging/fully charged, and a led voltmeter indicating level when the charger is not connected.

A smarter person than me would make it with one led, but I'm just getting into the world of diy electronics so it's simply to advanced for me at this point, so a light pipe with two sources and one lens would be perfect for me.

Shaping a piece of plexiglass together with a single light pipe might be a solution

Would it not be easier just to use a bi-colour LED in the first place ?

For a short Light Trip you could use hot glue to make a moulding but the transfer characteristics would be very poor.

You could also try making a lead (as in Pb) mould which is relatively easy.

Last edited:
Would it not be easier just to use a bi-colour LED in the first place ?

For a short Light Trip you could use hot glue to make a moulding but the transfer characteristics would be very poor.

You could also try making a lead (as in Pb) mould which is relatively easy.

Bi-colour LED would be better definitely, but I've taken apart a charger that I've built into the chassis and one of the led's is from here indicating charging and when it's full, the other led is a led voltmeter that changes colour according to battery level, I simply do not have the skills to combine this into one led, that's why a light pipe would be perfect for me.

So it sounds as though you have one single LED and a second multi-colour LED already ?

Mixing multicolours together may give you some very odd results.

The way it's going to work is the amp has a 3-way switch, first position the battery is connected to the amp and the LED voltmeter will indicate battery level by colour, green full, yellow almost drained, red needs charging etc., in the middle position the amp is off, in third position the battery is connected to the charger and the charger LED indicates when the battery is fully charged.

So there is no mixing the colours, I agree that would not make any sense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.