tweeter advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
we i just sold the damg things.

hahaha. s***.

beyma 8bx it is then. anyone know where i can get a set? range of options online seems fairly limited.

Scott, the port, can it be bent at some stage, id like to have it pointing toward the front, but the box wil be 6 inches deep max. oh, you reckon ill get the volume and responce, with amp32's limited power?

i was thinkin bout the 12's was night goin ta sleep, but i dont think proportionally they would look right. everythings relative on the face of one of those stereos, very much like the pi, and the 12's would dwarf other features.

NED 209 said:
we i just sold the damg things.

hahaha. s***.

beyma 8bx it is then. anyone know where i can get a set? range of options online seems fairly limited.

Scott, the port, can it be bent at some stage, id like to have it pointing toward the front, but the box wil be 6 inches deep max. oh, you reckon ill get the volume and responce, with amp32's limited power?

i was thinkin bout the 12's was night goin ta sleep, but i dont think proportionally they would look right. everythings relative on the face of one of those stereos, very much like the pi, and the 12's would dwarf other features.

yeah, those beyma 102nd are excellent drivers - but unsuitable for your application. (note that back loaded horns and the like are there to elevate the midbass response - something you couldn't easily do with a non-back-horn and still get any bass extension.) So don't feel to depressed.

Don't bend the port. Though I wouldn't recommend it generally, you could go to a 2 inch diameter port with a 3.5 inch length (..its at the threshold of generating port noise).

If I were you I make it deeper than 6 inches in depth, remember you need just over 1 cubic foot (about 30 liters internal).

NED 209 said:
hey again Scott, nice one for the reply. do you mean 30lt for each speaker? its going to be big :)

just to reassure me about my previous question about the amp32, you reckon decent vol with that amp?

yes, NET INTERNAL 30 ltr per speaker. Not that big, its just slightly more than 1 cubic foot - but yes, big for something portable that isn't "pro-audio".

The amp 32 is only 14 watts at 8 ohms, and even then with 10% THD which is horrible.

If the speaker itself is about 90-91 db with 1 watt at 8 ohms then you are looking at 96-99 db at lower distortion levels.

For reference I once used a spl meter on a radial hand saw in a very reflective room and it registered 98 db at a meter. It was painful.

Still, I'd be looking for more - the Amp9 looks about right (around 22 watts X4 at 8 ohms each with low distortion), and hell - you could even bi-amp both loudspeakers with that amplifier (which would likely cut down on the cost and weight of the passive crossover). You would need someone skilled in crossover design to do that for you - perhaps taking a look at the crossover I pointed you to and then going from there. Better yet you could instead incorporate a Behringer *digital* crossover into the design (striping off the heavy case work), and doing it your self (..its what I'd do). With the display and the controls it would certainly add to your "pimped" look.

This is the one I still have from I *think* '84 (spent about 200 US on it at the time, which factoring inflation is a LOT more now:D ):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160213442255#ebayphotohosting

Its a lot smaller, and while it runs on D cells it doesn't last more than about 30 minutes with them. I always used it as a plug-in for my bedroom (..and now my office). On a good day it can squeeze out a 60 Hz tone at reduced spl's.:( ;) Besides bass and "volume" - its missing that cool rocket launcher that "Q" developed.:D

thats a quality radio. the rx-c100 is the top of that range, havnt heard one but it gets glowing reports

http://i29.tinypic.com/sem3gj.png

the amp32 is it im afraid, i had an amp9 but i never could settle with it, V-bro made it for me, it was a beautiful specimen, but too power hungry and a little big and heavy. the amp32 weighs *nothing* and lasts forever.
the behringer mixer would suck up batts too. i like the idea.... adding to the visual complication on the front is a good thing, the recent versions have nice digi readouts and look very cool, but id rather channel all the available energy into the sound. ill load it with leds though, and power them with something small like a 9v lithium battery or an A23 12v, i think theyre funny. both really light.

about winISD, im using a mac here so ive not been able to look at it. but im gonna trust your judgment. im gonna havta subtract the volume of the speakers themselves from the 30lt, right? they look pretty chunky.
the crossover is a mystery to me, ill get into that when i have the speakers in transit, which should be soon. i just sold this http://i26.tinypic.com/de622t.png to pay for this project, so i should be ready to start building in two weeks. incidentally im basing it loosely on that last radio, an ode to my fallen toy,

NED 209 said:

about winISD, im using a mac here so ive not been able to look at it. but im gonna trust your judgment. im gonna havta subtract the volume of the speakers themselves from the 30lt, right? they look pretty chunky.
the crossover is a mystery to me, ill get into that when i have the speakers in transit, which should be soon. i just sold this http://i26.tinypic.com/de622t.png to pay for this project, so i should be ready to start building in two weeks. incidentally im basing it loosely on that last radio, an ode to my fallen toy,

Yes, you will need to subtract the port, loudspeaker, and bracing from the volume. It doesn't have to be exactly 30 liters - just try to get it fairly close (with in +/2 liters).

NED 209 said:
ehh, what about the p-audio sn 8mb? i have a set, gathering dust prettymuch, and nice morel tweeters to match, the x-max seems reasonable?

http://www.bltsound.com/index.php?crn=107&rn=370&action=show_detail

Virtually no bass from that driver, and absolutely no baffle step compensation without additional drivers, OR quite a bit of padding via an eq. in the crossover network - padding that would put the driver well below the beyma's efficiency. Moreover none of that even goes into the problems of using that drive with a tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.