TW034XO + AP210ZO Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had forgotten the material thickness, and 54L does bring things back in line. Thanks for taking the time to set things straight again.

I've played with the TW010F1 and have to say that although they fill in up to 20Khz they don't have the same dramatic effect I noticed when crossing a peizo rated beyond 30Khz. The peizos effects seem to reach into the mid bass and improve imaging.

Mark25 said:
One thing; most of the equivalent tweeters (like the one in the AN - E) have a smaller recessed dome. The TW034X0 has a huge surface mounted dome, time alignment is worse than normal, i've been thinking of how to make my cabinet counteract some of this physical offset..............

although the dome looks big, it only protrudes 5mm in front of a SS 2905/9300 dome.

Greg B said:
OK, I get 16.58x10.55x25.64" for 54l golden ratio.

Did you remember the material thickness? Internal width doesn't matter for these purposes. That should be wide enough, but you could always add two side cheeks to build it out to ~18", or build a 70l box. Sorry for mixing english system with metric units....

GB

Sorry for resurecting such an old thread, But I am going to build these over the rest of the holiday for the kids room to save my speakers as i have the drivers lying around.

I have a couple of questions about these cabinets

Where should i place the drivers in the front panel, as close together in the middle?

and

what sort of deadening should i put on the walls?

and

what should i do for a crossover i am not sure this got resolved?

TIA

mark

Right, I have finished building the Wrap for this project out of a mix of Ply and MDF. 18mm for sides and back. Front baffle is 18mm Ply.

The walls have been lined with sound deadening bitumus type product and 12mm foam. Which leaves the driver placement on the front baffle.....

I have had a play with the software above and to be honest I do not know what I am doing. Can someone assist by giving me some dimensions or further ideas on how to read what the edge is telling me so that i can get on with mounting the drivers.

The front Baffle is 450mm X 680MM

They are then to be finished in Rimu Veneer...

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Basically for large baffles and a vertically aligned 2-way :

Mount the drivers centres near 0.6 of the baffle width.

Mount the drivers close together.

Mount the tweeter distance from the top such that its
centre is near 0.6 of the distance to the nearest side.

This is assuming you want to minimise diffraction ripple,
it some cicumstances it is possible to exploit the effect.

:)/sreten.

Ok I get...

420 x 0.6 = 252

so

centre line for the speakers is 252mm from one edge. Mirrored for left and right cabinets.

the tweeter is mounted with reference to the top and 0.6 of the nearest edge measure

420 - 252 = 168

0.6 x 168 = 100.8

so the tweeter centre point is 100.8mm down, 252 mm in from the edge. Mount the woofer close to the tweeter on the 252mm "centreline"

Have i understood correctly?

m

like this?

m

Attachments

• ap210zosm.png
    ap210zosm.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 163
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice! Can you post the final crossover too? Someone may have such units and maybe want to build. Also some other details, like the depth of the box, materials used, more about its sound, rest of the system etc.

I don't know about the system it plays with now, but next would be a nice valve or Mosfet DIY amp to play them with... Maybe an SY Impasse driving a Pass F4.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.