Turntable upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I loved my LP12, it had an Ittok and an Asaka and it was great. Mind you, I was working for a Linn dealer at the time and it was all trade less 10%, except for the Ittok which I got, refurbished for £120 and later sold for £275...:rolleyes:

I wasn't quite so impressed by the Ekos I replaced it with - £895 full price (better, but not that much!) - happy days.

I had to sell it - needed the money :bawling:

Looking to find something lesser to fill the yawning gap:confused:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry to burst bubbles but no Linn Dreck I ever heard ever came close to a master tape...

While some well set up samples could play a basic tune, none had the dynamic scale you can expect from a good, well designed TT.

The Linn tonearms are even worse...
Sorry to say so but Ivor Tiefenbrunn must have been the marketing example for Bill Gates.

Microcrap at macrodollars,;)

TT

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Sorry to burst bubbles but no Linn Dreck I ever heard ever came close to a master tape...

While some well set up samples could play a basic tune, none had the dynamic scale you can expect from a good, well designed TT.

The Linn tonearms are even worse...
Sorry to say so but Ivor Tiefenbrunn must have been the marketing example for Bill Gates.

Microcrap at macrodollars,;)

Hi Frank,

You'r talking my language!

I had one of the best LP12 ever, still my Oracle is better than the LP12 with PINK LINK PSU!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I had one of the best LP12 ever, still my Oracle is better than the LP12 with PINK LINK PSU!

The Oracle isn't all that great either I'm afraid....

Suspended TT rule #1: anything that moves loses energy dixit Isaac Newton.

We don't write letters on pillows either, do we?

Ever had a chance to listen to a Decca on a NA Mentor Reference?
Or, the other end of the scale; a Jan Allaerts MC on a NA?

That's more like my language even though it not a "perfect" analogy...

Puts any CD based system to shame, I promiss.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

I do not buy that argument that tables that are supported with a suspension cannot sound as good as those that do not. After all a car have a smooth ride because of the suspension as well as trains. If I a writing table that had a suspension strong enough there would be no problem to write on it.
:D Having said that, there are fine tables made with and without suspensions.

Also, some people live in houses with wood sub floors that do tansmitt energy, so for them a suspension is a good thing.

Cheers
:hohoho:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I do not buy that argument that tables that are supported with a suspension cannot sound as good as those that do not.

Have you tried?
Granted there's more to good TT design than just this but it's a good start...

To put it simply, you want all the information from the record you can get so you want low compliance carts reading from a low compliance platform at as close to the ideal speed as possible, no?

Pardon me but it's going to be one tough cookie to fool Newton, so, when you have a suspended floorboard you just need a wall shelf to solve this, right?

With DIY you're freed from the dilemmas designers need to tackle, what if this or that....

BTW, be that a suspended TT or not it's always a good idea the have it on a shelf on the wall. Why?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

BTW, be that a suspended TT or not it's always a good idea the have it on a shelf on the wall. Why?

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,

I've got to say that in my house (c.1850's) the walls shake from the bass, and the floor is pretty tame. - I'd planned to stick my sondek on a shelf, but if you put your hand on the wall in the next room:eek: - I'll take the floor option here please:D

Cheers

Rob

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Lucky you.... A thatched cottage?

What's shaking most are the floorbards, not the sidewalls though.

Cheers,;)

I wish it was Frank - You're in the right area but this is a farm 'lodge' so tile roof, much bodging of building..;) The floor seems to be concrete, whereas the original parts of the building are 'wattle and daub' so nope, the floor ain't moving, but the walls sure are :) Honestly put your hand to the wall adjoining my listening room :eek: Terrible - initial measurements say I have hardly any room gain...

Cheers

Rob

Funniest thing Frank is that this room has given me the most satisfaction of all the places I've lived in - I've measured it and its pretty smooth except a big null at 40Hz..

I'm saving for some TT upgrades, was planning on an ittok arm and a decent cartridge. Some comments above suggest selling up and moving out..:)

Cheers

Rob

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'm saving for some TT upgrades, was planning on an ittok arm and a decent cartridge.

You Britts, you know....Ittok = Tick Tock...

A better cart, yes, but which one?

Funniest thing Frank is that this room has given me the most satisfaction of all the places I've lived in - I've measured it and its pretty smooth except a big null at 40Hz..

By all means, stay! Sounds like a great house with a soul to me...(beats all the math, doesn't it?)

Next time I'm in misty land I'll bring along that magic wand and pay a visit to the Wells family....

Just kidding....;)

""A better cart, yes, but which one?""

I'm looking at spending about £500 on the cartridge (that's a lot of overtime I'm going to have to work..) I don't know whether I'll buy new or a second hand 'very good' one - I'll decide when the money is burning a hole..

I'm in the middle of a big system shake up, so I've also got to get a decent phonostage, and better amps aswell. (plus finish my speaker project)

""Next time I'm in misty land I'll bring along that magic wand and pay a visit to the Wells family....""

You'd be welcome Frank...

Cheers

Rob

TT & Arm!

Hi Frank, Rob and others,

I have to say that Frank is right about the Oracle. The best sounding TT I've ever heard was an Orca with a Morch arm and a Shelter 901 on a Symposium board. I'll try to attach a pic of it.

That monster took me 3 days to get it running/sounding at it's best.

I now use the IKEDA arm this arm is not cheap but it's one of the best ars I had. EURO 4400,=
I'm planning in making a DIY TT like the Teres but with an aluminum base like the KUZMA!

For those who has a LINN or an Oracle, make shure it bounces only in a vertical way otherwise you'll not get the best sound it can produce!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• orca irfan.jpg
    orca irfan.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 315
Magnetmaz said:
If you had $1500, and were looking for a good used turntable, what brands and models would you go after? I realize Linn Sondek ( though i hear it somewhat colors the sound ), Gyro, Oracle Delphi (?)

advice? good / bad experiences ?

-Maz

And i really want something that looks cool.

For what its worth IMO suspended turntables can make
very nice noices if set up / modded / finely tuned / tweaked
by someone who absolutely knows what they are doing -
that is not relying on dogma or blind faith.

Don't know if you ever got the Pink Triangle over there.

Seems to me the Gyro / Oracle with a Rega fits the bill.

In my experience extracting the best out of a suspended
design is very tricky. Solids are easier to set up.

Did you get the Roksan and Rock over there ?

If you fancy the solid route transplanting a modded Rega to one
of your Technics with a few other tweaks sounds good to me.

2 Technics 1200mk2's and 1 transcriptors Saturn w/ vestigial arm

The Rega will be a huge step in performance compared to these arms.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.