Turntable mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, new to this site, so 'Hi' from Australia. I am returning to vinyl after over thirty years, have resurrected my Rotel RP2300 TT with Grace F8c cartridge(too good for this TT, but, coupled with Cambridge Audio Azur 640R amp/Project 'phono box' pre-amp, does sound quite good!) and I am considering buying a CEC BD7000, the actual top of the range CEC turntable, online for a restoration project, and to improve on the Rotel. By the look of the ad photo's, it may not need too much work. I want to redo the plinth to a high gloss finish, a la 'top of the range' Thorens TT's. I like that look. The dust cover will need some work, I plan to use Novus Plastic Polish on this. I'll lube the motor and spindle, as Nomo_jon has done, and anything else that may need doing, although it does appear to be in pretty good nick. Does anyone out there know what type of tonearm is on these decks, or was it just an 'in house' arm? Also, how good are these TT's? I believe, from my research, that they were a high performence unit, and 'built like a tank'! Any info would be appreciated.

It may be obvious but have you checked vinylengine?
Kffern

Yeah, all the time, since i joined recently:)! Did I post something that was incorrect?
Misunderstood your post Kffern, as you can see by my vague response above. I now(a long time later)realise what you meant ie; vinylengine library/database, but they don't go into what arms are on what TT and that sort of stuff. I think it was just a stock CEC arm. I actually missed out on the BD7000, but have since picked up a CEC BD3200 in excellent nick. Because it's veneer, and a rather drab colour, I am going to make a new timber plinth for it, a bit different to the original(deeper), and an isolation board. I have already bought a lot of the stuff I need for the project, but not the timber. I am considering using Maple for it's excellent damping qualities, but it has a pretty boring grain, which I want to be a feature of the plinth. Anyone out there know of any other TT suitable timbers that have a highlight grain?:)

It may be obvious but have you checked vinylengine?
Kffern

Yeah, all the time, since i joined recently:)! Did I post something that was incorrect?
Misunderstood your post Kffern, as you can see by my vague response above. I now(a long time later)realise what you meant ie; vinylengine library/database, but they don't go into what arms are on what TT and that sort of stuff. I think it was just a stock CEC arm. I actually missed out on the BD7000, but have since picked up a CEC BD3200 in excellent nick. Because it's fake veneer, and a rather drab colour, I am going to make a new timber plinth for it, a bit different to the original(deeper), and an isolation board. I have already bought a lot of the stuff I need for the project, but not the timber. I am considering using Maple for it's excellent damping qualities, but it has a pretty boring grain, which I want to be a feature of the plinth. Anyone out there know of any other TT suitable timbers that have a highlight grain?:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.