Turntable Linear Power Supply

I have a Feickert turntable that utilizes a 24v Meanwell brick power supply. I would like to build a linear power supply for it. I'm searching for a kit, which I assume would be a scaled-down version of the Pass amplifer power supply, for those amp kits. A complete kit with the PC board and components would be optimal, but if I can get a PC board with a component list, I can certainly handle that after building an F5, F5T, Amp Camp, Korg Pre and a couple of other great components offered on this site. I don't see anything in the DIY Store that seems to fit this application. I would like to go a level above using the Meanwell with the filter kit in the DIY store. But may settle for that.

Any guidance or links to kits would be greatly appreciated!

I do realize Feickert has a $900 linear power supply it offers. It does not come with the turntable. There is a Meanwell brick that comes as a standard.

Somehow I feel I'm going to get a lot of flack over thinking a LPS will help when feeding a motor on a belt driven TT, And I can't say I don't think the same way but, this just seemed like a fun project. And linear power supplies just seem cooler than switching ones. Toroidal Xfmr, bridge rectifier, some decent caps and some type of voltage regulator. How hard can it be?

And no, the TT is not malfunctioning with the Meanwell that was provided. I was just hoping for some sonic improvement but don't want to spend $900 to see if there is.

Last edited:
I do realize Feickert has a $900 linear power supply it offers. It does not come with the turntable. There is a Meanwell brick that comes as a standard.

Somehow I feel I'm going to get a lot of flack over thinking a LPS will help when feeding a motor on a belt driven TT, And I can't say I don't think the same way but, this just seemed like a fun project. And linear power supplies just seem cooler than switching ones. Toroidal Xfmr, bridge rectifier, some decent caps and some type of voltage regulator. How hard can it be?

And no, the TT is not malfunctioning with the Meanwell that was provided. I was just hoping for some sonic improvement but don't want to spend $900 to see if there is.

Read this thread; your questions will be answered:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/post-you-smps-noise-spectrum-measurements.394518/

SMPS will spit the noise back into the mains supply where the rest of your equipment is connected - good enough reason to never use them ( like never, ever... ever) in an audio system.

In addition to the above, you will realise (after reading the thread I provided the link to) that the noise present on the low voltage DC side is very hard to filter because... the SMPS simply (by design and by the requirements of isolation between the mains side and the low voltage side) do not have a low impedance ground path to couple that noise.

If still doubtful, connect two RC battery packs in series and see if you can tell the difference vs. MeanWell brick. You'll notice exactly what the manufacturer has stated under the benefits:

"Sonically​

you will immediately recognize a darker background. Not only is there more quietness but more inner fine-dynamics in the sound. More details are revealed, and a virtual curtain is removed. A more precise focus with better imaging of the actors gives you a far better experience of your records..."

...and then build a low noise linear power supply with good load regulation (and choke filter - CLC)... you'll never use another SMPS in your audio system again.

Reactions: 1 user
I KNEW there was a rabbit hole to be found on this subject. :)

I haven't read all 10 pages of that post yet but the hypothesis is that the noise will even bleed back through the AC side to other stuff. Does that mean you need to eliminate all the SMPS power supplies in the house since they would all be adding noise to the power system?

And will all the LPS in the system filter this noise to their associated components?

@Extreme_Boky do you have a PS kit or design you would recommend for this application?

I do not have/sell the PS kit.

The post #43 provides a few hints... have a read:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/post-you-smps-noise-spectrum-measurements.394518/

The inductor (CLC) will remove all (very) HF rubbish, and a series regulator will provide low-impedance rail for the full required spectrum (suitable for analog and digital equipment... even for the sample rates into MHz, i.e 1.53MHz PCM with capable DACs). I used 2 high power series pass transistors for 6A constant current draw (burning around 10V there, so a large heatsink will be required), with another 4-5 transistors for the rock solid and reliable power supply start-up, great load regulation and very low noise almost independent of the current draw.

The above should be enough to get you started. There are similar designs available on the net that are not too bad.

I KNEW there was a rabbit hole to be found on this subject. :)

I haven't read all 10 pages of that post yet but the hypothesis is that the noise will even bleed back through the AC side to other stuff. Does that mean you need to eliminate all the SMPS power supplies in the house since they would all be adding noise to the power system?

And will all the LPS in the system filter this noise to their associated components?

@Extreme_Boky do you have a PS kit or design you would recommend for this application?
If you descend into a bunny hole, be sure to take some Mpingo disks with you.