• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

tubelabSE with 300b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most CD players will drive the Tubelab SE into clipping at full volume. I have a few CD's that were mastered at a low level so they don't clip the amp at full volume, but are still plenty loud.

I use 87db speakers on mine. They will not get "rock concert" loud but are plenty loud in a small 3 meter by 4 meter room. My wife is always yelling for me to turn it down. I am building some 96 db horns to get louder!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As a rule of thumb, use +10dB for WEG (Wife Ears Gain)

I think hers are +10db as you suggest, but the Old Husband Factor is about -10db for a 20db delta.

I have a basement room, as long as I don't rattle the living room floor too severely all is cool.. I have 300B SE amps and speakers which even without room gain are over 100dB efficient - it gets pretty loud regardless of WEG or OHF based auditory criteria.. Wait until the GM70 amps are done - they will be nearly 5dB more powerful than the current amps.. :p

Actually most of the time I like to listen at moderate volume levels that my wife considers merely loud, she has never heard the system flat out. :D

As a rule of thumb, use +10dB for WEG (Wife Ears Gain)
About three years ago I bought a pair of those little Radio Shaft Minimus 7's at a hamfest for $5. The original plan was to use them in my secret underground lab- er, I mean garage.

They weren't the most efficient speakers in the world, but not bad as far as "shop dog" speakers go. The problem was they never failed to elicit a royal rousting from my wife, who was constantly reminding me that they were rattling the windows at the other end of the house. I wound up replacing them with a pair of JBL bookshelf jobs with 6-1/2" woofers - I don't remember the model - and I haven't heard a peep since.

Needless to say I'm content to live with the mystery!

My neighbors noticed a strange phenomenon with my home made Open Baffle speakers.

My wife has our living room all done in antique stuff. My Naugahyde covered speaker cabinets that I built back in high school were banished. They were last seen being used as the PA for a country band in West Virginia.

In order to fit in the antique motif I found a matching pair of 1941 vintage Zenith console radios. I carefully disassembled the radios, replacing the speaker drivers and baffle boards with 15 inch Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers. All mods are reversible, the original speakers, boards and Wavemegnets are safely stored.

The speakers work great, except that they really need a bigger room. The bass is serious and solid. These speakers excel at loud rock and they don't need a lot of power to get loud. 15 watts will shake the house. (SSE in UL with KT88's)

The people that live across the street discovered the phenomenon. If I crank something loud, especially Pink Floyd, it is audible in their front yard. The bass however is quite loud inside their house and the sound appears to be coming from behind their house. It doesn't appear to be a one note resonance since you can hear most of the bass line but not any of the music.

I am finishing some horn speakers so I will repeat the testing.

Attachments

• Radio_Speakers.jpg
    Radio_Speakers.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 234
I think women have different frequency responses than men. First, they don't enjoy bass you can feel, second, they have better high frequency hearing, third they are often younger and so have better high frequency hearing, fourth they didn't abuse their ears listen to loud music in their younger years so they have better high frequency hearing. The list may go on...

We men, with relatively little in the way of high frequency hearing and our penchant for bass tend to increase the volume so we can hear the highs and feel the bass and women get overwhelmed.

I should know better than to try and define women, this will come back to bite me...just sying there are differences.

I remember doing a frequency hearing test through my PC on my main system, with wife (not audiophile and 7 years younger) and my 6month old present. I could hear 14khz as well as she could, 16khz about 3-4 dB down and 18khz up not at all, but she could, and she was really annoyed by the sound.
At 18khz, by the way, if i increased to volume enough so i could even just tell something was there, she hated it and the baby started crying...

Interesting on the sound carrying thing. I have an open loft above my main system that also has a bend in it. That is where i have my electronics workshop and the sound there is as good as in front of my speakers. I should take some measurements, but you know how hard it is to play sweeps, pink or white noise on a main system with a baby in the house?

I think women have different frequency responses than men.

That is about the most PC way to put it.

Sherri is also 7 years younger than me and has much better hearing. The issue stems from the fact that we have totally different tastes in music so those speakers rarely get used for music. In fact the CRT based TV seen in the picture has been replaced by an LCD TV and most of the time those nice looking speakers are connected directly to the TV set. They don't sound half bad with the TV dirving them and get quite loud. The TV claims 10 WPC.

When Sherri is away I often drag one of my "experiments" out of the workroom and connect it to those speakers. She has been gone most of this year assisting her terminally ill mom, so I have been annoying the neighbors with a Simple P-P. I have been working on a power supply so my red board can meet those speakers. The result could be deadly. 100+ WPC and 96 db speakers = someone calling the cops!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That is about the most PC way to put it.

When Sherri is away I often drag one of my "experiments" out of the workroom and connect it to those speakers. She has been gone most of this year assisting her terminally ill mom, so I have been annoying the neighbors with a Simple P-P. I have been working on a power supply so my red board can meet those speakers. The result could be deadly. 100+ WPC and 96 db speakers = someone calling the cops!

My 101dB sensitive Iconic 165-8 woofers would loose their voice coils well below 100W, wondering about your Silver Iris.. :hot:

I think women have different frequency responses than men. First, they don't enjoy bass you can feel, second, they have better high frequency hearing, third they are often younger and so have better high frequency hearing, fourth they didn't abuse their ears listen to loud music in their younger years so they have better high frequency hearing. The list may go on...

We men, with relatively little in the way of high frequency hearing and our penchant for bass tend to increase the volume so we can hear the highs and feel the bass and women get overwhelmed.

I should know better than to try and define women, this will come back to bite me...just sying there are differences.

I remember doing a frequency hearing test through my PC on my main system, with wife (not audiophile and 7 years younger) and my 6month old present. I could hear 14khz as well as she could, 16khz about 3-4 dB down and 18khz up not at all, but she could, and she was really annoyed by the sound.
At 18khz, by the way, if i increased to volume enough so i could even just tell something was there, she hated it and the baby started crying...

Interesting on the sound carrying thing. I have an open loft above my main system that also has a bend in it. That is where i have my electronics workshop and the sound there is as good as in front of my speakers. I should take some measurements, but you know how hard it is to play sweeps, pink or white noise on a main system with a baby in the house?
At the moment i dont have a wife ;), i live in the countryside,dont have neighbors;) and can play as loud as i want all night long,until yhe speakers get smoke:D
Silvino

This is how we men lose our high frequency hearing.

Lets see, front of the mosh pit at a Metallica show, far too many concerts in general dating back to teenage years, shooting guns, home made fireworks, wife and daughter screaming at each other throughout daughters teenage years, and many more....but these were to some extent stupidity on my part.

Unfortunately there have been recurring bouts of a middle ear disease (Menieres disease) that shows up causing severe vertigo, balance problems, and nausea then go away taking a bit of my hearing away each time. It was gone for almost 10 years until last year.

loose their voice coils well below 100W, wondering about your Silver Iris..

I have seen them used for guitar amps without damage. Either way 100WPC would probably shake the old Zeniths apart, so I don't plan to really crank them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.