Tube or solid state?

Solid state or tube?

• Solid State

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Tube

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can We have "just" a poll no comments like: this one sounds better,more reliable, less distortion, more expensive, easier to build etc, etc. that way We can see how many people go for Tubes or Solid stated. My vote is Solid stated!

Last edited:
First of all it is very important to answer the question what stereo concept suppose to be implemented is Class A or Class AB.

In case audio source is LP or HiEnd RedBook-SACD (like Wadia - EmmLabs) it make sense implement Class A. Class A most likely does benefit from hi sensitivity speakers & tube gear.

Well if we are talking about some exotic speakers like Magnepans then Class A solid state amplification is required.

Class AB does benefit from ICs opamps (means solid state).

Wow, I though this poll was going to be very "simple" answered. But again some people go too deep into it.

Maybe if I ask this:

a) Two channel (stereo)
b) any classes...A, A/B, B, C, D, E, F, G, H , I ,............lol
c) whatever power
d) any colors

Just pick one and do not say why!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
What does the future hold?

Who would have thought car engines would get smaller...wasted energy...could it be the end of the Tube amp... The driving force just like VHS and Betamax...which was better which became popular. Things are changing faster now. The TV tube is dead what comes next? who makes the tubes?
Are tubes to become a luxury that only the DIY people can afford?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Well, in fairness, ask a better question. SOlid state or tube...what?

Do I prefer the sound of one? DO I prefer to work with one? Do I find one more interesting? Does one strike me with more nostalgia? I know and love both technologies. I'd prefer the dynamics of a tube amp for my guitar amps, but I have Crown and Carver solid state products for home stereo. And as a professional audio guy I sure as heck am not going to look for tube based PA systems.

If every recording I owned was mastered to the same high level of fidelity, I'd most likely go solid state. However I live in the real world, and most of my CDs/SACDs sound subjectively more enjoyable with a little valve sweetness added to the mix! I use a Pass B1 buffer with a pair of fully restored Quad IIs. Hits the spot for me ;)

John.

Well, in fairness, ask a better question. SOlid state or tube...what?

Do I prefer the sound of one? DO I prefer to work with one? Do I find one more interesting? Does one strike me with more nostalgia? I know and love both technologies. I'd prefer the dynamics of a tube amp for my guitar amps, but I have Crown and Carver solid state products for home stereo. And as a professional audio guy I sure as heck am not going to look for tube based PA systems.

I though it was clear that I was talking about the "sound" of an amplifier either solid state or tube. (two channels) for home use. ;)

Regards the sound,

All amps sound the same don't they..:D..anything else would just be distortion. So the poll is really which distortion do you like..

Regards
M. Gregg

Audio sources, preamps and amps do have very major difference in BW. It is very hard to find frequency-phase plots as well & very limited number of electronic gear manufactures do care about real THD+N measures in anechoic chambers.

However I agreed that modern ICs like OPA623 LM1875 let you build SS amp that sounds very close to good Class A tube amp clear and accurate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.