• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This ebay listing of a Yaqin MC5881A amp has the 5881 (6L6) power tubes and 12AX7 / 12AU7 preamp tubes and the other tubes look to me like rectifying tubes, but are listed as 6N6? I looked up 6N6 tubes and they look nothing like those. Can someone tell me what they are?

96ef_10.JPG

This ebay listing of a Yaqin MC5881A amp has the 5881 (6L6) power tubes and 12AX7 / 12AU7 preamp tubes and the other tubes look to me like rectifying tubes, but are listed as 6N6? I looked up 6N6 tubes and they look nothing like those. Can someone tell me what they are?

Looks to me like 5881/6l6's, 12AX7, 12AU7, and the other two are display tubes? (showing output?)

Have you ever seen the "Magic Eye" indicator? I saw a couple used to indicate signal strength for FM tuners, or record level on reel to reel tape decks.

There is a strip of phosphor or something inside the tube. It gives off an eerie greenish glow. The length of the glowing part of the strip can vary depending on some value - perhaps bias, or input level, or something.

Have a look at the first photo on this page:
http://hhscott.com/cc/magic_eyes.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.