Tube ID needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

School year is over, I've just moved back into my parents house for a while and I've been going through some leftover projects trying to get the "electronics" side of my brain back in function.

I am currently putting back together an old Paul (by Pine / Pepco) guitar amp and the single output tube it contains has no markings on it. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about it as I know very little about tubes in gerenal.

Thanks !

Attachments

• mysterytube.JPG
    mysterytube.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 201
Here's a picture of the socket the tube was sitting in. Pins one and six are not connected as there are no pins one and six on the tube itself (previous picture didn't really show that).

By the way, is the capacitor across pins three and eight 47nF ? Not sure I am reading it right.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT : The big black wire connected to pin # three goes to the output transformer.

Attachments

• outputsocketj.JPG
    outputsocketj.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
The pin-out connections strongly suggest a 6V6 or similar type. However, a quick search on line picks up a thread about a Paul amplifier possibly having a series filament string. So, do you have a power transformer in this amp? If so, it's probably a 6 volt tube. If not, be careful as it could be a series string with higher voltage filaments and dangerous.

Thank you !

The amplifier does have a power transformer. Here are some rough pics of what it looks like.

The potentiometer I am holding between my fingers in the first picture is the tone knob. I had previously replaced the original one thinking it was shorting the signal into the tone circuit, creating a permanent low pass filter (the amp has NO treble whatsoever).

I haven't traced the whole thing yet but I read online that some of these amps use the tone control more like a mixer between the bass and treble channels instead of a standard HF rolloff. I'll have to look into that.

:p p.s.: Sorry if my writing isn't always correct, I am having a hard time translating all of this in english.

Attachments

• paul_in.JPG
    paul_in.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 161
  • paul_out.JPG
    paul_out.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 149
Left tube 6/12AV6 or AT6 single triode twin diode, middle tube twin triode, Tube in question is an output tube for sure.

Rectification is SS bridge (round black four wire).

Look closley at the internal sturcture of the tube with a magnafying glass and see if you can determine what the connections to the base pins are.

[...] Look closley at the internal sturcture of the tube with a magnafying glass and see if you can determine what the connections to the base pins are.

Thank you for replying !

I am going to take a look at it and report back later. On the other hand, the two smaller tubes are 6AV6 and 12AX7.

I started reading the NEETS Module 6 book last week and I am having a great time learning about this stuff. I didn't learn about tubes in school so I'm catching up !

:snail:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.