• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp OPT for Headphone Amp? (impedance matching question)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Add resistance in series, you get a higher total resistance. Add resistance in parallel, you get a lower total resistance. The maths is simple, but the language can get complicated: does a higher resistance mean a higher load or a lower load. It will normally be an easier load to drive. For that reason I often try to avoid saying 'higher load' because that could mean 'higher load resistance' (i.e. higher resistance) or 'harder to drive load' (i.e. lower resistance).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My understanding: The output tube will see the impedance at the secondary multiplied by its turns ratio. A 8000:8 transformer will mean that when a 100 ohm load is presented at the output, the tube/s will see a load of 100k ohms.

Now when you connect a (say) 32 ohm load across the 100 ohm resistor the load resistance seen by the tube is 24k - this is still far more than the 8k nominal operating load.

The 100 ohm resistor across the output is to prevent accidental open circuit - for example if the phones get tugged hard, or the jack connectors lose contact momentarily etc.

The series resistor (if used) provides some attenuation of output and a slight improvement in idle noise. For example a 2.5W amp puts out about 4.5V. This is about 600mW into a 32 ohm set of phones, and I'd think that is fairly high and may cause ear damage. A good amp will put out about 8-10mV of noise, through a good pair of headphones this may be fairly audible. A series resistor (to taste) can tackle both these issues simultaneously.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.