• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp for ESL panel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool project. What panels do you plan to drive? Larger panels and/or smaller spacings mean more parasitic capacitance to charge and discharge, so more current from the amplifier. I/C is a figure of merit here, just like the original meaning of slew rate.

If your project is going to extend down into the lower midrange of frequencies, excursion is only linear if the diaphragm is constant charged and driven push-pull, so your amplifier is easiest with push-pull output. Depending on diaphragm-stator spacing you might want several hundreds to several thousand Volts swing available. No generic answer is possible.

This is a potentially very dangerous project, so you might reassure us that we're not aiding your death. Or much worse, someone else's.

Be safe, and all good fortune,
Chris

Hi Chris.
Thanks for your answer.
The panel I'm building is similar to the Acoustat one (60cm X 20cm) but it will work above 200 Hz (I hope!) So I think the capacitive load is relatively low. I have seen that it is possible using the inverted stator configuration, to mount a single ended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.