• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp for co-axial (150-80w AES) BMS compression (or MosFET Class AB)

Hello,

I am looking for a diagram, or a power amp kit with EL34, or KT88, to power a BMS 4590ND co-axial 150+80w AES compression. I think I need an amplifier of at least 250w, the ideal I think is 300w. Do you have any proven tips to share with me? It can be class AB or hybrid, but for an outdoor reggae sound system project we want tube technology for our Altec multicell and its compression. We have a preference for tube amplifiers, but if we have a lead for a nice DIY class A or AB transistor that interests us too. I know of a class AB 300w 8ohm LM49810 2SC5200 monoblock transistor kit, but it's the only one I know of. I searched a lot, but couldn't find the right power, or no model and diagram proven by the community, with a clear BOM and reassuring opinions...

Give me your suggestions =)

Last edited:
@nerdorama do you think 300w is too much for this 4590ND ?
is that what you mean? Do you think I need less watts in the amp with this sensitivity ? I made an estimate for a listener 50m away on this calculator power amp calculator. You have to imagine that this is for playing outdoors, over sessions lasting several hours, in public... The calculator allows you to make an estimate based on the distance to the listener furthest from the speakers.

@baudouin0
ok thank you I already know this reference. I also have this one that I think I prefer, without having any reasons based on experience, but just at first glance... Monobloc 300w 8ohm Class AB

Last edited:
How about this?
https://neurochrome.com/products/modulus-686

How do you plan to use this much power on drivers rated over 110dB sensitivity? Just curious.
maybe you are right to be surprised, and 200 or 250 are enough? This is important data, because for me the choice of kits varies a lot depending on this, I have access to other kits if i just need 200 or 250w.

@nerdorama I think we have to enter the field through another door you and me : in reggae sound system culture (both Jamaican and English), the physical arrangement of the speakers is done by stacking the cabinets (from bottom to top) sub- bass-mid-high, most of the time these are blocks with x4 SUB on the ground. Our ambition is to start with x1 block of x4 sub + x4 kick etc. Currently I am looking for an amplifier to power the top of the block: very powerful co-axial compression in an Altec type multi-cell cabinet, tube or hifi transistor AB. But we prefer test tubes first. we have two EAR 834 ECC83 phono preamps on our turntables. We would like analog amp for the medium and high frequencies, nice tubes of preference, otherwise here is a nice mono class AB block or hybrid tube.

@nerdorama we want to take care of the amplification of the multicel, it's the most important part of the project. I'm just looking for an excellent mono block to do it justice, a tube would be ideal. Do you think a 250w (minimum) tube amp would do the trick? Or I definetly need 300w for this load ?

This is BMS datasheet

BMS.PNG

@baudouin0 well ok, i dont know who believe, transistorist or tubist ? lol because today, I spoke with a speaker manufacturer who explained to me that I did not need to power 230w (the compression BMS 4592ND 80+150w RMS) with 230w amp if the amplification is not transistor but tubes, because torque and tube's eficency are better. some like you say: power is power; others say that the torque and efficiency of the push-pull tubes being better, the ratio between dB and watt is not the same as with transistors. And another manufacturer, I remember, of tube amplifiers ! told me his 125w KT88 push pull monobloc can drive this compression...

They all can. Yes a 125W KT88 would work. A 250W KT88 would be better as your less likely to get clipping. Valve amps are not as reliable as SS. You don't want it to break in a gig. I think SS would be much cheaper, more reliable, less power greedy, less heavy. I think you have other considerations.

@baudouin0
yes I really want to amplify with tubes, you have to enter that into the equation, even if it's a subjective element lol perhaps a solution is to separate into two amplifications. The BMS is co-axial, so there is two loads. One amplifier for each load. This reduces the risk of undersizing amplification. It takes up more space, but that's not a problem. With somethings cool like this maybe : Williamson Push Pull Amp Board ; EL34 Push Pull Amp Board. Off course, it's more expensive lol but for me tube give a particular meaning to the project

OK so maybe your looking at 4 KT88 in PP. Hammond do a 1650W which is 280W and goes down to 30Hz at full power. There's a 1650T which may work if your only down to 300Hz as the core saturation is usually the limiting value. Your going to need HT around 500-530V and I would use servo bias boards rather than fixed bias. The limiting factor is the screen voltage in UL.

https://www.audioamp.eu/module-ab-q...rcuit-not-suitable-where-the-6-3vac-filament/

For supplies I could suggest SMPS for heaters at 12V which you can set to 12.6V and run the heaters in series. The SMPS needs twice the rating of the heater current for startup. The HT supply Hammond and others do transformers and 550V caps are available from digikey and mouser. The driver board you could look at the dynaco ST70, ST120 driver boards and adapt them. Servo bias means the grid leak resistor can be bigger (up to 220K for KT88) so the driver board should be able to drive a pair.

Reactions: 1 user