• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp find in old theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have discovered that an old defunct movie theater near me still has what looks like two tube amps mounted on the wall in the projector room. A friend of mine tooks some pics that caught my interest. Could these be the main amps used for the theater speakers? They stopped showing movies in this theater 20 years ago. Suspect they could be from the late 50's early 60's possibly earlier.

The city owns the propery now. Any suggestions on who to ask in the city government if they can be removed?

You might also get great Altec (or something) speakers, if you get in there with a flashlight, toolbox, and handtruck. In other words, keep some extras in your trunk. Your toolbox needs wirecutters, socket set, and a pry bar is a nice touch. Forget the official route; make friends in low places.

I tried to buy some old 'scrap' gear (2 year old) from my local council via the 'proper channels.'

The answer I got was :-

1. As they were old, they had been written off by the accountants to zero value and hence could not be sold and had to go to the tip!

2. Items with a value even 1p, could not be sold as they were public property.

I made friends with the truck driver. While he parked behind my shop, having a coffee inside, some items were 'stolen' off the back.

Andy

Early movie theater amps, the type mounted on the walls usually were mono 30 watt amps with 807s or sometimes 845 tubes if i remember correctly. many date to the late 30's. Speakers were usually a mono altec or if your really lucky an RCA bathtub or WE.

The old projectors are worth a fortune if they are in good shape.

My experiences dealing with the city have not been good ones. more red tape then i have ever seen. I know where there is an entire basement FULL of PA gear removed from an upgrade a few years ago that the city officials have flat out told me they will never use again. But the cant sell it, give it away, throw it away etc. it has to just sit due to political crap. Seems someone from the city in the past was making a few bucks selling off broken lawn equipment the city was going to toss out. people accuse the city of misusing money and an investigation was launched and what a bunch of crap!

I Agree, make good with whom ever it takes to get that gear! The city will never sell it. if it is attached to the walls it has to stay with the building.

If there is an RCA Bathrub behind the screen. its worth a fortune. 5K-10K or more depending on what and what kind of condition. a single 8" W.E. Field coil speaker can bring 2-3K by itself or more.

Try and find a 1938 Projectionist handbook. there pretty common. they have pages and pages of details and model numbers etc.

GET IT!

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting excited now. Unfortunately the screen is long gone as well as any speakers that might have been there.

Hey Zero Cool. When you say "the projectors are worth a small fortune" how many zero's are we talking about? Thanks for the tip on the projectionist handbook.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.