TU8200 failure

My Elekit 8200 worked great for a couple of years and then one day, I got no sound. Not on either speaker channel. Not in the headphones. Absolutely nothing. It powers up and lights up the tubes. I've tested the tubes on two different testers and they come back good. I've tried all of the inputs. I've visually checked for any solder failures. I cannot see anything out of the ordinary. So, I want to go through methodically to see where the failure might be. I'm a novice with a huge respect for the dangers of the high voltage, and I'm hoping someone might have thoughts on where to look first. Thanks for any thoughts.

Joined 2011
Do both channels not work? If so, the problem is likely to be in the power supply.
Do the tubes light up? If so, the problem is likely to be in the HV supply section.

There are separate HV supplies per channel, sharing the rectifier bridge and first filter capacitor
First, you should measure the DC voltage there (TP #25), which should be around +280 VDC to ground.

Thanks, Rayma. I'll try that. But, neither channel works, so it sounds like power supply. All tubes do light up. I will try what you suggest. And Victor, thank you for your response. I don't see how I can email you, but that might be because I am new on this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
It appears to be 3.8V AC at the point of the red wire. If that does mean the transformer is shot, is there something that would have caused that? I worry that I did something that I'm unaware of. There are no outward signs of issues. And Victor, I'll send my phone number in hopes we might be able to talk on Tuesday? Thanks again to you both for your help and patience on this. I've built multiple Elect models, and this is the only issue I've had.

In case anyone looks at this thread in the future, Victor asked me to disconnect the transformer leads to the circuit board and again test the red wire. The reading was way too low, leading Victor to conclude the transformer had failed, likely because of a power surge in our area. We are replacing it. Once I receive it and install it, I’ll post the results here. I am so impressed and thankful that Victor took the time to walk me through this over the phone. Elekits are a joy to put together and are top notch products, and I’m glad this unit will be back in service.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users