• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

trimmings for amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres some photos to get you started.

Not exactly a scratch build, but an Asymetrical approach to a nice looking stereo SE amp that was made with what I had to work with from an old Magnavox.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is my own chassis design for a Dynaco ST35 clone.
I used a hammond 12x10x2 aluminum chassis and polished it using metal polish available at Lowes hardware. I used cheap 1x2 oak craft strips from Lowes for the casing at a total cost of $3.50. The control knobs for both are $1.75 at radio shack, and look quite professional and "hifi" IMHO. I like to do things on a budjet, so thats my take on things. Hope you're inspired!
http://getchellaudio.googlepages.com/IMG_0349.JPG

Sand progressively from 80 thru 900 grit: 80, 120, 220, 350, 400, 600, 900. Finish with a buffing wheel and a can of Brasso or silver polish.

Attachments

• 832 amp.jpg
    832 amp.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 263
http://www.charlestonarea.com/octane/2-9-2006/polishing_compound.jpg

there is the stuff I used, I don't know if theres a name brand but it is made in the USA. You can find it in the tool section of Lowes. I only used the high gloss stuff so it took a while to polish it up. Its basically a claybar that removes aluminum and smooths it out while polishing at the same time. Messy and you must use a buffer or drill with a small buffing wheel.

Thanks dubdub, that was the magnavox shield off of the radio that the amp came out of. Thought it gave it that "botique-im some-high-falutin'-fancy-brand-transformer" type of look ;)
FWIW, the transformers are made by Stancor as indicated by the 138 IEA code on them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.