• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Traveling with DIY Kit in USA-Airport Security Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From a practical perspective, it helps everyone if you put it in and check your luggage. It helps to keep the items easily accessible, and separate the individual items in different containers. That way they don't have to rummage through everything. Do your best not to unnecessarily irritate everyone within the security chain. Also, anymore, the airlines have been reducing their liability for loss. If you are worried about items getting "lost", be sure to declare them or buy additional insurance. Or better yet, just insure and ship it separately. Most airlines will also do counter to counter shipping which is a really nice way to get things shipped quickly without having to deal with the same level of insurance or loss issues.

how about a soldering iron?

Photo+on+2011-01-06+at+15.23.jpg

hifi heroin: What you can fly with.

Carrying on a genrad power supply actually got me into the cockpit! talking to the pilot.

hifi heroin: Home again, home again jibbity-jab

dave

Hi, folks,

I have question to USA DIY folks - is there any problem with DIY kits (parts, PCBs, plastic boxes) and airport security. Should those kits be stored in baggage (stored in cargo chamber) or in hand bags (taken with passenger)?

My colleague currently visiting USA and I would like to ask him to buy some kits for me, but he afraid there might be some problems with airport security, especially international flights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s).

I had problems with sldering irons, they said I can harm people by them. I had no time to ship them by mail,. so decided to discard. I bought them in Irkutsk, flew to Samara, passed addinional security in Frankfurt, in NY, but in Dallas had to throw in trash.

Before 911, I frequently carried rather large instrument used to measure differential pressure across an orifice plate, (kinda like using a volt meter across a resistor to measure current) and it was used in gasoline service. It was too delicate to check so I hand carried it. It always had a strong odor of gasoline and it always attracted attention from the screeners. A business card and a brief explanation always won the day. Can you imagine that now!!!

Recently, I had an aircraft cylinder compression tester confiscated (it looks like a refrigeration tester) once I uttered the word compression. No compressed gasses on the aircraft! It made no difference that the gauges were at zero. It made no difference that the hoses were open. It made no difference that one could blow through the hoses. No compression!

More like: No comprehension.:)

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
After 9/11 but before the liquid ban, I traveled from Seattle to Copenhagen with two six-packs of microbrew in glass bottles in my carry-on backpack. The screeners showed me the X-ray and asked "what the h*** is that??!" I explained I wanted to give my family a taste of the Northwest microbrews... They let me through.

More recently, I've travelled with an oscilloscope in my checked luggage. It made it through without even a business card from the TSA.

But my mom had a pair of nail clippers confiscated. That was after landing in Seattle, the final destination. There was an additional security checkpoint before leaving the international terminal and it got caught there...

TSA is a joke. Plain and simple. It's a (freak) show of force. But the bottom line is that if you want to travel with something that's a bit out of the ordinary, you're better off with it in your checked luggage.

~Tom

By far the worst security I've had was in China, they x-ray even checked baggage and make you open it if they see anything. I had several boxes of bulk packaged watercolors (very cheap in China) you can imagine how that looked on an x-ray.

Nice thing about China is that they are usually very polite about it. I cringe almost everytime when I return home to the USA and have to listen to the TSA agent yelling!

When it comes to equipment in the bag. I it is packaged so that it can be thrown dropped etc, check it in. Otherwise I think it is worth the hassle of security to carry it on.

2 weeks ago I went out of Kiev airport (Ukraine) with about 200 small and medium-sized tubes in our main suitcases.
My wife packed 6 x NOS/NIB 6C33C-B in her suitcase; the rest went into mine.
My wifes suitcase was locked with a small padlock and my suitcase went w/o any locks.
When we arrived in Copenhagen and received back our luggage the padlock had been cut and at least my suitcase was searched.
Nothing was missing fortunately but I imagine airport security thought they were about to make the catch-of-the-year :D
I wonder how a 6C33C shows up on X-ray, to say nothing of 6? :p

rgds,

/tri-comp

Hi, folks,

I have question to USA DIY folks - is there any problem with DIY kits (parts, PCBs, plastic boxes) and airport security. Should those kits be stored in baggage (stored in cargo chamber) or in hand bags (taken with passenger)?

My colleague currently visiting USA and I would like to ask him to buy some kits for me, but he afraid there might be some problems with airport security, especially international flights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s).

Well, here is how things are done over in the US (and how they sometimes get out of hand). These were honours students in a competition or conference with doing electronic stuff and robotics. And being teenagers/students away form their parents and stuff, someone accidentally/mistakeningly/absetmindedly left a robot on an airplane.

MAKE | Students Accidentally Leave Science Fair Robot On Plane

VIDEO: 'False alarm' at Love Field after 'robotic device' prompts evacuation, handcuffed passengers | Crime Blog | dallasnews.com

Outcome the handcuffs.

Maybe it is an over-reaction (yes, I believe it is in this case with the handcuffs), but moral of the story is this -- don't leave a robot on an airplane unattended. But then again, who hasn't ever done this before? I'm talking about forgetting something or accidentally leaving something behind.

In a sort of off-topic story, I like microcontrollers and bought an Ardiuno which is an all-in-one solution for hooking up and making things happen. Got it while shopping in the US just because an opportunity arose and I had heard a lot about these little things. Still in the packaging, documentation (a book about how to program a Sketch -- the programming instruction set), receipt, cable, wires, an LED, a motor, but no batteries or power source. It came as a small kit. I had no check in luggage, so it was in carry-on.

Screening time. Wow. They saw that little board in the x-ray and that started out the 20 questions by two officers and a pat down and a hold your hands out to be swabbed and check out my shoes :confused:. Skip my camera, my ultralight notebook, mobile phone, and RIM Playbook.

They opened the deck of card sized cardboard box and then poked, read the words silk screened on it, prodded, pulled, pressed a reset button about a dozen times (guess what? No power, so it doesn't do anything). Put it through the x-ray one more time. Looked through my bag and little wheelie luggage. Called over a supervisor to take a look at what they found. :bulb:

Supervisor takes one look and says the best words ever heard, "That's an Arduino. It is a mini computer thing. Nothing to see."

I couldn't care less if they did their job, it is their job after all. However, it is the whole feeling of knowing of not being guilty of anything (other than hat head), having other passengers stare at you as they go through the other lanes, and packing all your belongings back, that was the pits.

The importance of being honest

The best thing to always do is to be extremely open about everything you travel with. Know the list of what you can travel with. And then realize that you are traveling with things that are safe and that are part of your job or hobby. Anything I carry on is always in containers that are open / mesh / see through, etc. Routers, power supplies, and motherboards are all very open and separate. It takes more time to plan and pack correctly, so that you can pull it out quickly, but everyone in the chain will be happy you did.

I have had multiple people thank me for helping them do their job on multiple occasions. And the other day while people kept going back through the line for doing stupid things like leaving large amounts of jewelry on and carrying through water bottles, one of them said, quite loudly, "That man just received the traveler of the year award!"

When it doubt and when it is safe, pack it in your checked luggage where it is separate and where people can get to it.

If I was going overseas, I don't think I would pack anything. That's what shipping companies do for a living. Use them. It's just not worth the hassle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.