Transmission line ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Resonances abound

It seems to me both TL's and BR have potential for serious standing wave problems. Years ago I put 12" Tannoy MG's in the factory recommended BR and never liked the result - boomy. I consulted the good ol' Radiotron Designers Handbook of 1950-something and there is was: standing waves in BR boxes discussed and solved by putting a load of damping where it mattered most. I tried that - not very effective. I like the TL approach because the standing wave issue is what the design is all about - ie it's accommodated in the design, which means at least you're going in with open eyes. Anyway, these standing waves/resonances/HOM's etc etc are a serious problem that seems to persist and persistently annoy in just about every speaker design. I like tight punchy bass and am somewhat worried about the TL performance compare with BR - can anyone suggest a really effective way of stopping those internal standing waves inside BR boxes????

I think it was Floyd Toole who demonstrated that the "loose flabby" bass from a speaker system can be magically transformed into a "tight punchy", bass by simple taking care of the room resonance causing the flabbiness.

Just volume filling a reflex box along the lines I outlined in my article on Rod Elliot's page will do it.
rcw.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
. Years ago I put 12" Tannoy MG's in the factory recommended BR and never liked the result - boomy.

It's never a good idea to follow the manufacturers published measurements of a driver and for certain it's not recommended to go with their box design suggestions.
Measure the driver, design the enclosure based on these measurements - good results will follow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.