Transistor insulator pads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What a strange economy. "Electronics" of course means "appliances". Sifting through the blenders and hoovers, the few hardcore radio-guys seem to be "closed permanently". Boat radio seems to be dominated by US shops, some of whom "will travel", but I'm sure to install a $3K marine GPS, not $3 of mica. And yet, they might agree to call when they are on your island and hand you an envelope.

OK, I guess The Bahamas is 1/3rd the population of Maine and has less money per capita, so 1/6th the total market. There's a lot of services and parts I can't get near here. I'd have to drive a long way to find a hard-core radio shop, maybe out of state. Which from the Bahamas, would be Florida.

Didn't know it's that hard to source that. You guys have interstate shipping services though. You could order parts or send your radio in for servicing. The only limiting factor being the cost, especially if it's heavy.

I would imagine that you could cut a simple piece of paper to shape and soak in mineral oil. Wiped with a paper towel before installing it would provide both excellent insulation and heat transfer:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: , though I would not be certain of it's longevity. may dry out over time.
TERRIBLE advice. :eek:
DO NOT follow this useless dangerous suggestion. :mad:

Use greased mica or Silpads ONLY.

I would imagine that you could cut a simple piece of paper to shape and soak in mineral oil. Wiped with a paper towel before installing it would provide both excellent insulation and heat transfer, though I would not be certain of it's longevity. may dry out over time.

NO!!!
Oil and paper have terrible thermal conductivity, about 0.1W/mK for oil, compared to the 8W/mK of most thermal grease. The difference is in the filler, usually aluminum powder.

Last edited:
I would imagine that you could cut a simple piece of paper to shape and soak in mineral oil. Wiped with a paper towel before installing it would provide both excellent insulation and heat transfer, though I would not be certain of it's longevity. may dry out over time.
I gave myself the means of testing interface materials, both thermally and electrically:
A Thermal Ohmmeter
A Low-Lethality Dielectric Strength Tester

I would advise against "normal" paper, but baking paper or siliconized back-paper of self-adhesive stickers do not perform too badly, especially when combined with thermal compound.

There are other options, like the material of oven-bags for instance.

None should be used in HV applications though: the breakdown voltage is only a few hundreds volts, sufficient for transistor, <100V circuits

Baking paper belongs in the oven protecting my "secret recipe" cupcakes :)
And silicone "sticker sheet" paper is so treated on *one* face but not the other, and treatment is *thin* so at best it "improves" , say, 20% of its thickness ... and leaves 80% as before.
To boot, it´s relatively thick.

Let´s avoid giving poor ideas to noobs, who are easy prey.

IF none of the good materials is available, and you are in a hurry/emergency, you can reasonably use the thinnest mylar sheet you can get.

This one is 3.6 microns thick.

XRF Thin Mylar Support Films Ultra-Thin 3in. Wide x 300 ft x 3.6 mm Thick | 01866-AB | SPI Supplies

what it doesn´t offer in high thermal conductivity, is compensated by the short path through it.

Of course, still needs grease.

Oven bags are made of mylar or PA, and they tend to be thinner than the precut mylars pads, which means a lower Rth, which is a good thing, lower breakdown voltage, which is bad in theory but is not a problem in practice because of the high dielectric strength, but the real difficulty is the tolerance to surface imperfections: the slightest burr or foreign body can pierce it, requiring great care and cleanliness.

Of course, the dedicated materials (both commercial and home-made) are still preferable.

Alumina is much better than organic alternatives regarding thermal conductivity, that's agreed.
However, it would be difficult to form alumina into 0.05mm sheets -and it would be even more difficult to use them-
When a reasonable thickness is taken into account, differences tend to even out .
Regular alumina pads are extremely brittle, and do not tolerate the slighest amount of flexure without breaking, even for "normal" thickness types.

If high voltages are not required, the problem is a minor one: I had to replace a number of transistors thus mounted, and the alumina had in fact fragmented, but it didn't pose any problem, because these were low-voltage circuits, and the thermal capacity wasn't too much impaired by the breakage.

That said, alumina is not the only inorganic compound useful for thermal transfer: MgO is about 3x better, and is completely safe.
It is probably less easy to sinter into ceramics, but it can be mixed with binders like silicone to make high performance (and flexible ) interface materials

If it weren't so toxic BeO would be a great material, much better conductivity than many metals...

You can order diamond plates today if you want the ultimate thermal washers, but cost is decidedly problematical still: Diamond Materials - Produktubersicht

Oh, and lets not forget aluminium nitride, perhaps the most practical of the ceramics in fact.Catalog Item

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.