Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a transformer for my Car SMPS powersupply but I've been having a hard time finding a suitable one. One reason may be that I really not know much about transformers. Well I need a 12 volt to 36 volt transformer (1:3) with a power handling of at least 300w. I would prefer a toroidal transformer with a ferrite core. The transformer should have single primary and secondary both with center taps. Part numbers and suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks

<i><b>I need a transformer for my Car SMPS powersupply but I've been having a hard time finding a suitable one. One reason may be that I really not know much about transformers. Well I need a 12 volt to 36 volt transformer (1:3) with a power handling of at least 300w. I would prefer a toroidal transformer with a ferrite core. The transformer should have single primary and secondary both with center taps. Part numbers and suggestions will be helpful.</i></b>

I don't think you're going to have much luck finding anything off the shelf. Such transformers are typically made custom for each particular application seeing as the DC voltages and operating frequencies can vary so widely from one application to another.

With AC power transformers, those parameters are rather fixed at 120/240 volts, 50/60 Hz.

Bottom line is I think you'll probably have to consult with a high frequency transformer manufacturer to get what you need.

Good luck!

se

nitropowered said:
I would prefer a toroidal transformer with a ferrite core.

There are no toroidal transformers in the range you want. I have never seen one. Also you can't buy of the shelf and also it's very expensive to make one at a factory. It's easy to wind it by yourself...if you know how to do it....

This chapter is complicated, winding ferrite transformers for high power and/or high frequency.

Are you trying to replace a transformer that is in a commercial product or are you trying to design a custom power supply for a custom car amplifier of your own design. If your answer is the former, then you are trying to replace the wrong part. If you answer is the later, then I can help you design a part if you give me some design parameters. I may even be able to build you one or a few.

BeanZ

I'm trying to build a custom powersupply. I really have no problem building a custom transformer, I just wanted to see if there was an off-shelf transformer to simplify the construction of the psu. I may need a few tips on how to wind though, like what size wire, how to wind properly, etc. I have come up with conflicting results on the internet. One says to wind the primary first, the other says wind the secondary. Like I said before, I need 300w 12 to 36 volt transformer. I already have a ferrite core from a Wilco itl-501 inductor.

I see. You are following the SMPS project in the Elliot pages. It doesn't matter which one you wind first but it is usually desireable to deparate the windings with friction tape so that the enamel does not wear down and short primary to secondary. The capacitance of the transformer will be the same either way you wind it. Space the windings out evenly and try to utilize the window area efficiently. That design is not current mode controlled and cannot prevent flux imbalance. There are also MOSFET drive chips that can take the function of the smaller driver transistors.

BeanZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.