Transformer shielding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is some words said about this theme,but nothing to start building from.
I'm looking for cheaper method to shield toroid,like steel(good for shielding)and copper(shielding unknown for me)
So what do you think about steel and copper composite.steel(1.5mm)and copper 0.7mm or more.I have something on my mind and i keep you informed.All very experimental,but who knows.

Any theoretical stuff,or DIY projects are very welcome.

Magnetic sheild

May I ask WHY you want to sheild a toroid tranformer? Toroids are known to have very little magnetic field, one a the big advantages! But the guy swedish Mats Bladelius (Advantage, S.A.T don't have the URL's) have toroids with a magnetic shield, see article at ELFA.

http://www.elfa.se/elfa/produkter/se/20/2020471.htm

Text only in swedish, sorry..

Magnetic shielding for toroids is typically some core material wrapped around the circumference of the toroid. This is very effective.

As for CU shielding, you really only need extremely thin layers of conductive material to effectively set up a shield. However, if you have several such layers with a distance between them, you are much better off. You often see plastic cases where conductive paint has been applied internally and externally for this very purpose.

I would recommend that you use the core material method above and set up your toroid so that you can turn it for minimum effect on circuitry.

If you are still worried, set up the transformer in a dedicated box some distance away, and use TI Shield or equivalent hi-tech material for shielding at the consumer. You can get TI Shield from Michael Percy.

Petter

Cu shielding

I have a piece of instrumentation which uses copper film laminated between two sheets of mylar for shielding. The copper film has a lead which is attached to the central ground point. If you can find the copper film, you could easily laminate it between two sheets of clear avery adhesive film. (btw, I have found the avery clear sheets to be excellent for making PCB masks, although a little expensive.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.