TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Hello,

I try to progress on my TAS3251 design, and work on entering the schamatics in kiCAD.

Studying the TAS3251EVM, TPA3251EVM and TPAS3255EVM, I see some 0 Ohm resistors in the circuit. Sometimes there are 2 in series.

Looking at the PCB, they don't seem to act as jumpers over tracks (they jump over the ground plane, but there are other paths for ground nearby.

Have you identified the purpose of those 0 Ohm ressistors ? Can I suppress them (or some of them) ?

Are some of them (very) usefull for progressive powering of the board of for trouble shooting ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards and happy Christmas !

JMF

Hi everyone, I follow this tread as I have a tpa3255 amplifier, please excuse me it this is the wrong forum for posting this question the "what's wrong with it" doesn't seem appropriate. I have the Chinese version and would like to know what other users are using as a preamp. Currently I am using an Alps27 pot between a raspberry pi +boss DAC. It sounds good but quite digital. With any opinion I would be most happy to explore other improvements. Budget is a concern for me, simple is great! I have, a 12v DC , 24vDC and a dirty 220v AC available.

Thanks to this thread I would still be listening to a tpa3116 through quality but inefficient speakers. Kind regards and respect to the posters. X

Hi everyone, I follow this tread as I have a tpa3255 amplifier, please excuse me it this is the wrong forum for posting this question the "what's wrong with it" doesn't seem appropriate. I have the Chinese version and would like to know what other users are using as a preamp. Currently I am using an Alps27 pot between a raspberry pi +boss DAC. It sounds good but quite digital. With any opinion I would be most happy to explore other improvements. Budget is a concern for me, simple is great! I have, a 12v DC , 24vDC and a dirty 220v AC available.

Thanks to this thread I would still be listening to a tpa3116 through quality but inefficient speakers. Kind regards and respect to the posters. X

hi
kurtsmiling, kurt...

yes the "what is wrong..." is the threat about the chinese YJTPA3255. why do you need a pre amplifier ...your DAC (software where you play your songs) has a volume control and the amp gives you a gain of 27db...thats really enough.

chris

Thanks Chris for your reply. Your right I don't need a preamplifier or any more gain. The sound of the amp is good but just thought maybe a preamplifier might make it better. I could just download an equaliser and play with that but that's not very appealing to me. I am curious as to what means others using this amplifier do for controlling playback from the source and what, if any, improvements can be made besides a potentiometer, and as you pointed out isn't really necessary in my application. I do prefer turning a knob as opposed to tapping on a screen!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
This might be boring to read for you, but from the technical aspect there is nothing to be gained now - you are done.;)
I should mention that I do not support any "opinions" about "sound quality" but hard facts that can be measured resulting in numbers everyone can compare.

So you may call me the perfect audiophool party pooper:D

Hello everyone, new to the forum

very helpful thread indeed, thank you all

I thinking of building an amp to power two outdoor passive speakers Klipsch AW-6500 (8 Ohms 85W, 95db) or Bose env 251 almost same rating although Bose states that they 6Ohms and 100-200W recommended amp.

In the future I'll be adding a DIY passive sub to the setup, so I will need a a three channel output which I think is being referred to as 2.1 configuration, correct?

from what've read so far the TPA3255 is recommended for 8Ohms application, or is it too powerful for those speakers? Shall I be looking at the TPA3251 instead?

I also want include a bluetooth 5.0 CSR8675 in the build, does any one have a recommended module that I integrate in the amp? Will this require a separate power source ie 12 vs 48 volts?

from what've read so far the TPA3255 is recommended for 8Ohms application, or is it too powerful for those speakers? Shall I be looking at the TPA3251 instead?

Would it be safe to say that the TPA325* chips themselves can drive any load?
The limiting factors are voltage and current.

It's the output LC filter that is load specific. In a 2.1 system, with a 4 ohm subwoofer (4 ohm) and two 8 ohm speakers, the subwoofer filters would be designed for a 2 ohm load, and the stereo speaker filters designed for an 8 loads.

I don't think an amplifier can to too powerful, only too weak.

Mike

Has anyone connected switches to their board (and maybe some input switches) so it can be used as mono/stereo/2.1 by just switching some external switches (on the back of the enclosure)?

To switch from 2.0 to 2.1 it just seems to need 6 switches (different jumpers). I can use 3 DPST switches in a row and put 1 latch/bar on all 3 so I can switch them like 1 switch.

//btw: my 3255 was delivered today without extra customs extortion. :D

Last edited:
RE: TPA3255EVM: Issue when Using PBTL Mode

I am wondering if anyone has used the TPA3255EVM in PBTL Mode and had this issue:

"TPA3255EVM is not working as expected in PBTL mode. It appears to be entering a CB3C over-current fault as the input level approaches the point when one would normally start to see some activity on the OTW pin. The outputs shut down temporarily and then it restarts. The EVM works perfectly in stereo BTL mode all the way into hard clipping."

According to TI:
" TPA3255EVM there was a voltage that builds up across these resistors (R36, R52 both 10K), which causes problems in channels C & D while set in PBTL mode."

It is advised by TI that these two resistors are replaced with 0 ohm resistors, and that later models have this change.

I am planning to switch to PBTL mode but noted I have the earlier? version as my EVM is showing 10K resistance values. I am not sure if I should replace these resistors or just use as is. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

TPA3255: Issue When Using PBTL Mode - Audio forum - Audio - TI E2E Community