TPA3251d2

Size comparsion to the TPA3132D2 boards, 50x50mm.

Attachments

• TPA3251D2_21_1000.jpg
    TPA3251D2_21_1000.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • TPA3251D2_20_Full_Blank_1000.jpg
    TPA3251D2_20_Full_Blank_1000.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 1,045
@gmarsh: How come you used balanced to unbalanced converter on the input?

@doctormod: I see two soic 8 packages on the bottom left side of your PCB, input op-amps?

It would be good to have a through hole via after all op amps and in front of input capacitor. So other input buffers and gain stages could be used.
Anyway, I can't wait to see both designs finished and working.

Best regards,
Aleš

@mravica: the schematic's changed now, the difference amplifier shown in the schematic is replaced with an OPA1632 driving the TPA differentially. I'll post an updated schematic later tonight.

As doctormord pointed out to me via PM (thanks again dude) it looks like the chip requires symmetrical input drive for full output power. If you believe page 15 of the TPA3251D2 datasheet, it looks like IN_A is amplified and driven out OUT_A and IN_B is driven out OUT_B... so my original schematic posted above would have OUT_B hanging at midrail and OUT_A only used for audio output. The new input circuit guarantees symmetrical drive with both balanced and single ended inputs.

Other reasons I chose the input circuit:

- It makes the inputs far more rugged than exposing the bare TPA pins. The TPA can only tolerate 0-7 volts on the input pins, my circuit can tolerate about +-9V before the clamping diodes start to conduct. So bad grounding/miswiring mistakes should be survivable.
- Additionally, the 1st op-amp stage is designed to clip and the 2nd stage is designed with a less-than-1 gain, to keep the input voltage range of the TPA within its maximum ratings if the input is overdriven.
- The instrumentation amp architecture allows easy gain selection by changing 1 resistor value per channel, and gain changes don't affect the input impedance.
- The input impedance doesn't affect the highpass corner frequency of the amp.