TPA3116D2 Based Amp Sound Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys First I'm sorry for my Bad English.
I had a Microlab H20 Bluetooth Speaker. From fast year it was dead.
Few weeks back I wanted to bring back from dead. So I simply bought a TPA3116D2 Based Amp from online. It was like this.
tpa3116d2-connecting-480.jpg

Now connected my speaker as independent 2.0 channel speaker.
But I simply cant understand why this amplifiers sound is very low.
But seller tells it is 120Wx2 Total 240W.
Please Anyone help me to Solve my Problem.
I'm using:
TPA3116D2 Based Amp Module
24v 3Amp SMPS Power

Hello Guys First I'm sorry for my Bad English.
I had a Microlab H20 Bluetooth Speaker. From fast year it was dead.
Few weeks back I wanted to bring back from dead. So I simply bought a TPA3116D2 Based Amp from online. It was like this.
tpa3116d2-connecting-480.jpg

Now connected my speaker as independent 2.0 channel speaker.
But I simply cant understand why this amplifiers sound is very low.
But seller tells it is 120Wx2 Total 240W.
Please Anyone help me to Solve my Problem.
I'm using:
TPA3116D2 Based Amp Module
24v 3Amp SMPS Power

The output power of a 3116 chip at 8 ohm is less than 30 w per channel at 24 V power supply. THD is probably at a very high level too. Power output is higher at 4 ohm at 50 w with 21 V supply. The data sheet also mentioned one can get 100 w at 2 ohm (probably at PBTL mode). So I would not take the 240 W x 2 claim seriously under typical situations.

What is the sensitivity of your speaker?

The output power of a 3116 chip at 8 ohm is less than 30 w per channel at 24 V power supply. THD is probably at a very high level too. Power output is higher at 4 ohm at 50 w with 21 V supply. The data sheet also mentioned one can get 100 w at 2 ohm (probably at PBTL mode). So I would not take the 240 W x 2 claim seriously under typical situations.

What is the sensitivity of your speaker?

thanks for your reply

Signal/Noise ratio: > 75 dB
Separation: > 45 dB

thanks for your reply

Signal/Noise ratio: > 75 dB
Separation: > 45 dB

Sorry! Looks like you are quoting an amplifier's spec. For typical consumer speakers (sensitivity 87dB and up), the output of a 3116 amp is plenty.

Looking at the picture, something I found strange. The inductor of the output filter seems too large, inductance wise (33 uH). Typically, it would be 10 uH (100 marking) targeting a 4 ohm speaker load (for 8 ohm, I think 22 uH is optimum). No worries, it will work with a 8 ohm speaker That makes me think what is the LC filter values that are being used for this amp (both the L and C values). The output filter can affect the frequency response of the amp.

Another feature of the amp that I found strange is the separate volume control for left and right channel.

Sorry cannot be more helpful. You can ask around to see which 3116 amps people in the forum have bought and found satisfactory.

Regards,

All these China design, cheap 3116 boards suffer from poor capacitors with not enough energy storage for dynamic´s. That makes their performance very much depending on the power supply.
If you are lucky, your laptop brick fits their demands, more often not.

Depending on load, most weak amps may have very different sound on different loudspeakers.

So, if you have a good supply, wire them up very well and an use easy to drive speakers, these amps may sound really good, even as they are no bass giants for sub woofers..

If not you may be tempted to throw them into the garbage bin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.