TPA3116D2 4 channel board - a cheap entry to a FAST / WAW setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has no x-over for the full range and does not like a capacitive load (passive x-over).
No good.

Why would it be anymore adverse to capacitive loads than any other TPA3116 implementation... I have several of them and they drive speakers with crossovers in them just fine.

The lack of an on-board crossover for sub woofers vs full range could be a disadvantage in some cases.

Douglas, it is not about full range loudspeakers with passive x-over, but just one amp with one speaker, separated from low frequency by a capacitor.
This is the result, if you get such a cheap 2.1 board, where only the sub channel is actively Xed-over, but mid high gets full range. You may try to get the missing active x-over replaced by passive components and you put a capacitor in front of the satellite speaker.
Some D-amps seems to have burned trough in such a configuration.

With a board design that has all parts of the reverence build, running open output is no problem, but we all know the Chinese constructor is trying to spare all parts he can. So many quit if run open with a signal.

I had a look at this board again. One of the customers (Russia, 13 Dec 2019) replied - Excellent amplifier, but LPF does not have, to the Saba you need a separate crossover. The 3 pots are all volume pots probably, so no filters. Still need a low pass filter for a FAST / WAW setup.

This board also has 3 heatsinks – could be 3 x TPA chips? Effectively 3 amps?

Hi twocents,

I have been in FAST / WAW mode for several years. I tried different combinations of class D and class AB amplification. I started with the TPA3116 WITH and without capacitor on the mid and high. By cons I do not like the TPA3116 in the bass, it is better an amplifier like the IRS2092. Currently I have fullranges with super tweeter and no capacitors for a high pass, with a amplifier class AB). So I rather control the bass level (for the woofer and IRS2082) with an electronic filter.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have fullranges with super tweeter and no capacitors for a high pass...

You do have a hi-pass on the sT?

An appropriately small sealed box can provide a HP function.

The board looks really tight, but an appropriately small input capacitor on the HF side will give a 1st orferPLLXO, adding an extra R&C of appropriate size for the woofer might be trickier.

dave

You do have a hi-pass on the sT?

An appropriately small sealed box can provide a HP function.

The board looks really tight, but an appropriately small input capacitor on the HF side will give a 1st orferPLLXO, adding an extra R&C of appropriate size for the woofer might be trickier.

dave

No capacitor on the fullrange. Before yes I had put capacitors but it was with other HP and the TPA3116.

Yes I put in a small closed box, precisely to avoid going too low in the bass. These are Faitalpro 3FE25 cut in 2 ways towards 7khz and a paper tweeter without resistance, because the level is good. I try other fullranges with capacitors for FAST mode, and I don't like because it cuts in the musicality (dynamic and depth and precision)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.