Towers with WO24P-8 as woofers: single or double woofer?

Hi,

I currently have 3-way sealed enclosures with a single WO24P-8. Active crossover by using a Hypex FA123. Crossed over at 450hz or so. Box calculated qtc around 0.7. Before this I tried a ported design but I like the sound of the WO24P-8 sealed much better.

Because of unrelated reasons, I'm making new enclosures. I'm thinking about doubling up on my woofers, two WO24P-8 per tower. But really, is there any use? I listen at low volume levels. With the Hypex I can EQ the bottom end of the single woofer so that it plays as low as it needs to. Double woofers would increase the sensitivity of the woofer ensemble, so I can remove the negative gain on mid and tweeter. Doesn't seem important in my situation with active crossover.

Only think I can think of is that the floor bounce of the two woofers is at different frequencies, perhaps creating a more even in-room response. Is that alone worth it?

Am I missing something, or is a second woofer a silly idea in this case. It would also make my enclosures a lot larger.

Thanks
Vincent

Two woofers give you a higher SPL capability. You indicated that this is not a capability you need. Other than that, the advantages of 2 woofers are small advantages... a slight reduction in distortion, a slight change in directivity... If you do not need the extra SPL capability, there is really no reason to use 2 woofers...

j.

1714082884845.png

I have WO24P-4 on Hypex FA503 running in my avatar speaker. I would say they can get pretty loud in the living room, but the system limit is given by the Woofer stroke capability. Mid and Tweeter might be able to deliver a few dB more. I also usually apply Linkwitz equalization for Q target = 0,70..0,75 and f target = 25Hz...35Hz ranges. Hint: Crank up the volume of you system with the concerned speakers to your normal-elevated listening level, and play some worst case tracks of your taste you listen to, targeting to dynamics and low frequency excitation. Walk to your speakters and observe the cone working; it is allowed to stroke because you payed for the linearity, so when the motion looks controlled and largest excitations would not exceed << +/- 10mm i would say everything is fine.

Above a simulation with focus to max SPL based on parameter combination of 1) one ot two WO24P-8 in parallel and 2) Amplifier rail voltage swing capability. Unfortunately the rail voltage of the Hypex Modules is not that high, gets better with the larger Fusion modules. With 4 Ohm Speaker loads you get better power matching to the Hypex Modules, they can deliver clean current up to that rail limit. As you see from the simulation, you might achieve also headroom for invest in another amplifier, but in tradeoff the second woofers idea is the better deal I think: I own also a speaker with two 26W Discovery 8 Ohm per side, each pair driven on one channel of a FA123. Low frequency performance and SPL capability is better in subjective comparison to the single WO24P-4 + F503 system.

I think @Kwesi is right but for one thing. If I would experience strokes of about 10mm both ways at my 'normal' listening levels, I'd opt for doubling the cone area, as virtually no woofer does +/- 10mm without some serious harmonic distortion. And harmonic distortion in low frequencies is quite critical because our ears' sensitivity behaviour. There still is no substitute for cone area in this respect.

BTW love to see Basta! still in use! Underrated imho.