toroidal transformer hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FYI
I have some Power TX's plots of excitation current vs input voltages both 50 & 60Hz
The AC line inputs are typ 100, 120, 230 & 240 volts ±10%. I have some files that were stripped of the real clients names.
Duke:)

Attachments

• POWER_TX_100V-50Hz.jpg
    POWER_TX_100V-50Hz.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 481
  • POWER_TX_120V-50-60Hz.jpg
    POWER_TX_120V-50-60Hz.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 467
  • POWER_TX_120V-BAD.jpg
    POWER_TX_120V-BAD.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 461
How?
What is it you are doing to assess "induction"?

You are right I am outside of this discussion and that is not helping SONYZZ.
For him if the noise is really due to the main at 240V only damping material for frequency 100 to 200 Hz is one solution to be tested.

Im taking induction because at the design stage of "silent" unit, manufacturer have to use GO steel sheet with low magnetostriction and improved flatness. Also he looks for uniform distribution of the flux and he reduces the calculated induction.
Regards

sorry couldn't reply was at work... but im guessing why its buzzing, i remember someone posting that in UK there is 240v AC mains, but my toroidal primary winding is rated at 230v AC so that 10v of AC means something to me, like - 10v too much for primary... but if its not something that really bad, and its just making sound, but not something that will burn out later, i can live with that because i think in closed box i hear it less, amplifier is in wooden box.

Last edited:
That "shouldn´t" matter, as AndrewT said stuff sold in Europe must stand between 216 and 253V or thereabouts , not meaning 253V mains of course but 240V nominal with normal tolerance.

As of "buying straight from Nippon Steel" no need for that just to get the datasheet, you buy whatever you can get, even "mystery iron" (I do it all the time) and run your own curves, which is very easy, just need a Variac and a meter.

That "shouldn´t" matter, as AndrewT said stuff sold in Europe must stand between 216 and 253V or thereabouts , not meaning 253V mains of course but 240V nominal with normal tolerance.

As of "buying straight from Nippon Steel" no need for that just to get the datasheet, you buy whatever you can get, even "mystery iron" (I do it all the time) and run your own curves, which is very easy, just need a Variac and a meter.
but if its not going to burn primary winding just that hum i can live with that, but i will try to tighten the nut or put sponge under and above it :)

but if its not going to burn primary winding just that hum i can live with that, but i will try to tighten the nut or put sponge under and above it :)
I should be the solution. Audio is an experimental science. You will not burn the primary winding but you could have extra temperature rise just check after doing your insulation and a fed hours of operation.
Regards

yes it was in the package with the toroidal transformer, transformer is this one TST600/014 INDEL - Transformer: toroidal | TME - Electronic components used Indel 300w toroidal transformer before but wasnt humming, ofcourse that was different house with mains 220v in Europe, now i live in UK with mains 240v...

Hello,
I once had the same problem with indel 600 tst - I am convinced that this is due to over-voltage and budget INDEL core material - this transformer hum due mains overvoltage if we compare EU (230-240V ) and UK ( 240 - 250 or even more) . When I brought it back - hum disappeared.

Hello,
I once had the same problem with indel 600 tst - I am convinced that this is due to over-voltage and budget INDEL core material - this transformer hum due mains overvoltage if we compare EU (230-240V ) and UK ( 240 - 250 or even more) . When I brought it back - hum disappeared.
But i look on ebay and most of the toroidal transformers here in UK is 230V AC, i did not found 250v AC transformers....

the UK and the rest of europe are on a harmonised mains voltage.

The manufacturers and retailers must make sure that all the mains powered electrical equipment is safe and works properly for the whole range of that harmonised voltage.
i.e. they quote a nominal voltage of 230Vac 50Hz and they must be safe from 216Vac to 253Vac.
Yes, a 230Vac transformer must work safely when the supply is at 253Vac.

I suspect that some of the very cheap transformers are not manufactured to this mandatory standard !
The manufacturers and the retailers that sell this substandard equipment are criminals.

The nominal or harmonised voltage is 230Vac.
But europe is still on it's former 220Vac and the UK is still on it's former 240Vac.
I doubt we will ever adopt the same voltage. There is just too much hardware to be replaced.
It is the manufacturers that have the responsibility to make their equipment compatible.

Last edited:
the UK and the rest of europe are on a harmonised mains voltage.

The manufacturers and retailers must make sure that all the mains powered electrical equipment is safe and works properly for the whole range of that harmonised voltage.
i.e. they quote a nominal voltage of 230Vac 50Hz and they must be safe from 216Vac to 253Vac.
Yes, a 230Vac transformer must work safely when the supply is at 253Vac.

I suspect that some of the very cheap transformers are not manufactured to this mandatory standard !
The manufacturers and the retailers that sell this substandard equipment are criminals.

The nominal or harmonised voltage is 230Vac.
But europe is still on it's former 220Vac and the UK is still on it's former 240Vac.
I doubt we will ever adopt the same voltage. There is just too much hardware to be replaced.
It is the manufacturers that have the responsibility to make their equipment compatible.
Yes but most of that is compatible, like if i buy laptop in Europe i can go to US and use that laptop since its power brick is rated at 115v-240v AC and, what about company called "Talema" ? theyr toroidal transformers are bit more expensive about 10-20gbp than Indel...

Last edited:
I have a DC filter but this will not work if not DC is the problem.

Is the hum constant? Yes, not DC probably

1 Could be a very big capacitance for the smoothing
2 A bit lose transformer winding

If the hum comes and goes, then it's very likely that you have DC.
No, hum is constant it does not fade it stays same sound all the time from power on to power off

That probably indicates vibration of the core laminations or the wire strands, due to the pulsing forces while 50Hz is passing.
The wire moves when the current changes. That movement is a vibration that we hear as a humming noise.
And i was thinking about buying another toroidal from that Talema company which seems to be better, but if this Indel is working fine just that hum,i wont need another toroidal for now atleast :)

No, hum is constant it does not fade it stays same sound all the time from power on to power off

Without a variac we only suspect the magnetostriction (variation of the magnetic induction move the sheets 2 times the frequency per second, there is also a lot of harmonics, it is not linear phenomena) but it's really look like.
Damping the transformer is not expensive and can be tested.
This transformer is may be a little out the quality control.
Normally 230V primary should works on UK network. The level of no load losses give a good indication of the noise level (quality of the magnetic steel, stacking, induction, etc) but here also it is only ISO 9001 paper works.
Regards

That probably indicates vibration of the core laminations or the wire strands, due to the pulsing forces while 50Hz is passing.
The wire moves when the current changes. That movement is a vibration that we hear as a humming noise.
I fixed the screw nut it was loose, and tighten it, the hum became a bit more silent but still can hear it from 0.5 meters away

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.