Topping tp 21

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, so there are quite a few factors that come into play here. Also, I couldn't just turn up a full spec for the amp either...

1/ I suspect the output will 25 watts into 4 ohm speakers and so much less into more common 8 ohm ones. What are yours ?

2/ The speaker sensitivity plays a big part in this. That is a measure of how loud the speaker is for a given level of signal. Good speakers always quote the figure and it will be something like 90db @ 2.83 volts rms. The higher the figure, the louder the speaker for a given level of signal.

3/ An SA-CD player should be able to drive any normal amp to full output I would have thought, but it would help to know the input sensitivity of the amp.

If you can turn the amp all the way up to full volume and the sound is not distorted then it does sound like you need more signal (a preamp in front of it). If the sound begins to distort on loud bits then the amp is underpowered for your requirements.

Here's an interesting bit from the parts express review page
capt blowhard said:
good product - just not a 25W amp (but wait ...)

The Tripath part that's used in this amp does not provide 25W output. At least not in this design. The TA2021 (A or B) does not reach 25W out unless it's got a 14.6V supply, and this product ships with a 12V supply. With a 12V supply, the Tripath part, screaming at the top of it's lungs (4 Ohms, 10% THD), does about 16.5 Watts.
So keep that in mind for a sec, and I'll tell you how to improve the amp.
Tripath shipped two versions of the TA2021 - there's the TA 2021A and the TA2021B. One of the major difference between the two was that the TA2021B was qualified for operation at the higher operating voltage of 14.6V. In order to qualify for operation at 14.6V, the TA2021 requires schottky diodes on the high side of the outputs (between the output and Vcc). These diodes eliminates potential overshoot from inductive loads, protecting the outputs of the device.
If you look at the two datasheets for the parts, you'll see the added diodes. It's not clear from the photos if the Topping design includes these diodes, but since they ship the amp with a 12V supply, I'm guessing they don't use the higher voltage layout and diodes. That's too bad, but all is not lost.
It turns out there's still some headroom in the TP21. If you can locate a 13.5V regulated supply (or, if you're handy, you want to modify the one they shipped), you can run the TP21 (even without the high-side diodes) at 13.5V safely. This will net you (into 4 Ohms) 17 Watts (1% THD) and 22 Watts (10% THD). At 12V the corresponding numbers are 13W and 17W.
If you're really handy, you can just add the diodes yourself and get the numbers up to 20W and 25W (with a 14.6V supply). The .1% THD rating at this voltage is 16W.
Everything else about this design looks very good (from what I can see in the photo). Lots of local capacitance, good choice of parts, tight layout. I'll probably buy one myself, though I already have several Tripath amps.

Hi all and first sorry for my poor english :')

All informations can be found here (ta2021b datasheet : Tripath - datasheet pdf) and here (amp datasheet : http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp21/index.htm)

Imput sensibility : 460mVrms
Gain : 26db
power supply : 4a14v
Real output power (14v 0.1% thd) : 15w/4ohm and 8.5w/8ohm
wharfdale 9.1 : 6ohm and 86db/2.83v (85 measured)

The amp imput sensibility is low enought to achieve full output power ... Something around 11w [(15+8.5)/2=11.75w) into 85db speaker so 95db maxSPL (1w=85db;2w=88;4w=91;8w=94;16w=97 ....). This may be too low :/.

I'm using around 4w into 91db speaker so 97bd SPL on daily use and can't up the level because I prefered whane it's not too loud.

In your setup, there are two way to up the level, take a more efficient speaker or use a amp with more outputpower.

Hi all and first sorry for my poor english :')

All informations can be found here (ta2021b datasheet : Tripath - datasheet pdf) and here (amp datasheet : http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp21/index.htm)

Imput sensibility : 460mVrms
Gain : 26db
power supply : 4a14v
Real output power (14v 0.1% thd) : 15w/4ohm and 8.5w/8ohm
wharfdale 9.1 : 6ohm and 86db/2.83v (85 measured)

The amp imput sensibility is low enought to achieve full output power ... Something around 11w [(15+8.5)/2=11.75w) into 85db speaker so 95db maxSPL (1w=85db;2w=88;4w=91;8w=94;16w=97 ....). This may be too low :/.

I'm using around 4w into 91db speaker so 97bd SPL on daily use and can't up the level because I prefered whane it's not too loud.

In your setup, there are two way to up the level, take a more efficient speaker or use a amp with more outputpower.

Thank you for taking the trouble .The amp does sound lovely and being honest i can live with the low volume untill i can afford something a bit beeffier:):)

Hi hixyhicks,

I also have a Topping TP31 and the same issue as you.
These little amps are made for desktop-usage.

I improved the volume by using an external soundcard in front of the amp.
The second thing that worked very well for me was the change of the psu.
I'm using a laptop-PSU for the Topping instead of the original one.
You can also try the Meanwell-PSUs. Another issue is the load-dependance...
I'm using a impedance-linerization for my fullrange-speakers otherwise i get some distortion in the high frequency range.
Lowers the volume a bit but the sound of a singledriver-system will be improved.

Some guys build a simple tube-preamplifier...looks nice in the evening and sounds more "smooth"...

Basically I go from pc to a dac then into an x cans headphone amp into the amp...can you recommend a pre amp cheap...I molded the x cans which sounds lovely .Just out of interest is there a cheapish diy amp I can build myself which is very simple as I have never built one before and can't read electronic drawings .I really injoyed molding the x cans but then again it was very simple .

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need to determine your requirements first. A preamp to do as you want can be very very simple indeed but the question of how to power it arises. It could be battery powered, or you might want to power it from the existing power supply, or finally you may be happy with another mains powered preamp.

So that is a fundamental question as to which way to proceed.

There are lots of kits of amps (and preamps) available but if you can't read a diagram then you are building blind and would have difficulty troubleshooting any issues. On the other hand, its all good experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.