Top Quality Projector Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im really intrested in building a Projector but i am just intrested which yield the best results, Money isnt too much of a problem as this is going to be a long term design. i would really like a top quality projector with results = that (or better) of a retail projector
any suggerstions comments are much appreciated. thx in advance

p.s this site is truly one of the hidden treasures of the internet but i never seem to see it in any pc top 100 webites lists ?? i rekon it should be No#1 you guys need to advertise more your selling yourselfs short!:D

High quality is very doable. The more money there is to spend, the easier it is to obtain quality. BUT, if you're on a budget like me, total with screen around $300, then check out how I am doing so far.

K-World TV-Tuner/ 1280x1024 resolution $75 shipped
400-watt Metal Halide shop light/ballast $54 shipped
IBM 17" lcd screen broken backlight+cable $75 shipped
5ft x 6ft sheet of 6061 .25" thick aluminum $0 (found in field)

My total so far is hardly over $200, I expect to spend a bit over $100 TOPS on a good lense and 2 fresnals. So $300 for a projector that will do 1280x1024 in HD isn't bad at all. Not to mention no PC is required and I can accept VGA, S-Video, A/V, coaxial for cable tv. It also allows picture-in-picture, but only when the VGA input is being used for the 2nd picture. I may modify this port to also take other signals in the future.

Now if you want to spend lots of money, get the smaller high-res lcd screens, but expect to spend a LOT of money. If the LCD is not of good resolution, the final picture will look poorly. Using a smaller LCD makes it MUCH easier to find usable lenses, even on ebay. This will also make the whole projector smaller, which is a plus only few can afford.

I am not an expert yet, but am still learning as well, just trying to share what I know. Do you have any specific questions?

Here are 3 very good, commercial, sites that sell useful parts:
www.lumenlabs.com
www.3dlenses.com
www.diyprojectorcompany.com

SmC252 said:

K-World TV-Tuner/ 1280x1024 resolution $75 shipped
400-watt Metal Halide shop light/ballast $54 shipped
IBM 17" lcd screen broken backlight+cable $75 shipped
5ft x 6ft sheet of 6061 .25" thick aluminum $0 (found in field)

My total so far is hardly over $200, I expect to spend a bit over $100 TOPS on a good lense and 2 fresnals. So $300 for a projector that will do 1280x1024 in HD isn't bad at all. Not to mention no PC is required and I can accept VGA, S-Video, A/V, coaxial for cable tv. It also allows picture-in-picture, but only when the VGA input is being used for the 2nd picture. I may modify this port to also take other signals in the future.

SmC252,

I would like to do the same as you are doing. I have a 14" LCD 1280 by 1024.

If I understand right you have a 17" LCD with 1280 by 1024 and the K-World TV-Tuner/ 1280x1024 resolution will allow you to enjoy HD with a direct connection to the cable coax? You mean connecting to the cable receiver by coax? How about a DTV broadcast over the air receiver connected via component?

How do you connect the K World Tuner to your IBM LCD? Do you have an SXGA LCD controller?

Sharp 14.1" SXGA+ LCD Panel. mo# LQ141F1LH02, dell p/n 695EM

I have no idea how to use this. Hope I can. I have been told I need an LCD controller to connect this to a digital HD over the air receiver.

Is that what the K-World TV-Tuner is? Does it have component inputs? You are saying HD and I just don't see how you get there with this. When you say "tuner" I think of receiver and I don't think this is a digital receiver.

Any help appreciated.

LCD controller is more like the circuit boards that should be attatched to your lcd panel - i.e. when most people strip there lcd monitor (as i have) they use all of the controller boards that were inside there but if you want to use an lcd you have salvaged from say a laptop (where many people get 14"ers) it wont have these controller boards and hence you cant use it.

ps im typing this on my wall at 140" ;) :D

it seems that with this K-World TV-Tuner I could hook up to a laptop with a 1280 by 1024 screen and watch HDTV. But I can not see how. The unit does not have anyway to get HD into it from what I can see or out for that matter.

No component inputs just composite, S video and VGA.

VGA is 720 bt 400 which is not HD. The lowest HD is 1280 by 720.

So what am I missing?

ok let me re phaze my question.
where can i get a lcd screen that would produce high quality results i know that im looking for one with broken backlight but am having no luck can anyone point me in the right direction as i dont want to pay 300+ dollars to pull one apat
ty in advance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.